Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dufton Show Fell Race

Wolverhampton - nearest 'hill' the Wrekin!

Dufton

Is it me or is one of the GR's wrong in the magazine where it describes the route? "Fell gate at 693207" is way off the route! Any help here where it really goes? I'm in the lakes tommorrow till Tues so may look at it...

Re: Dufton

Hi Tim, we went round it a few weeks ago, and that grid ref must be a misprint. But it became irrelevant as most of it seemed to be on private land except the open fell itself which is pretty obvious where to go.

Can anyone give a description of the terrain the Dufton race goes over? What is the descent like? Any shoe suggestions?

Ta

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor View Post
    Can anyone give a description of the terrain the Dufton race goes over? What is the descent like? Any shoe suggestions?

Ta
    Not much 'pre interest' in this one, obviously not as popular as Borrowdale!!

Ah reckon Maximum points for TimW, Longdogs & Skeletor!!

Am entered for this but can't help with the route...sorry

It's mostly very fast grassy running with one short steep ascent and steep descent bit. The descent is very rabbit-holey, and if you don't fall down a hole you'll probably trip over a rabbit itself- there were millions when i went there, though the avatar ate one, so that's one less.

I thought it might go along High Cup Nick, apparently not, so it will be a surprise for me.

Keep those hounds under control H, eating the rabbits !

Wolverhampton - nearest 'hill' the Wrekin!

Quote Originally Posted by Nee Bother View Post
    Not much 'pre interest' in this one, obviously not as popular as Borrowdale!!

Ah reckon Maximum points for TimW, Longdogs & Skeletor!!

Am entered for this but can't help with the route...sorry
    Thanks but I doubt it, unless the rabbits will just bite everyone in front of me or at least impede them in some way!

The English title is yet to be decided for both seniors and vets. I'd put Rob Hope and Holmesy as respective favourites although I'm sure Jebby & Simon Booth will be both have something to say about that.

Still know bugger all about the course except for the fact it's rabbit holey - all the more reason to have reccied it although I'm sure it said we weren't allowed to (did everyone take notice of that? I hope so )

Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    Still know bugger all about the course except for the fact it's rabbit holey - all the more reason to have reccied it although I'm sure it said we weren't allowed to (did everyone take notice of that? I hope so )
    Yup....I had a weeks holiday in the lakes and was going to have a look, but on reading the info, I decided not to.

Just looked at map and it looks a fairly steep up & down, looking forward to it

NB

Oh bugger i must have missed the bit about not reccying it. Most of it was on private land so we just stayed with the footpaths and looked at the other bits through pretend binoculars. So basically, take no notice of anything i've said about the route. I stand by my word on rabbits though