Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mo Farrah

Mo Farrah

I know we have a World Athletics thread but I think Mo Farrah warrants one all of his own.

Here's a guy who came to the UK with nothing as a 10-year-old refugee from war torn Somalia. He was given shelter, an education, a home and the opportunity to become one of the best distance runners in the world.

It makes me proud to be British.

He seems like a really down to earth guy in interviews and the way he's applied himself over the last few years to reach the pinnacle of his sport is an inspiration to us all.

In these days of doom and gloom we need more people like him.

Master

Re: Mo Farrah

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    I know we have a World Athletics thread but I think Mo Farrah warrants one all of his own.

Here's a guy who came to the UK with nothing as a 10-year-old refugee from war torn Somalia. He was given shelter, an education, a home and the opportunity to become one of the best distance runners in the world.

It makes me proud to be British.

He seems like a really down to earth guy in interviews and the way he's applied himself over the last few years to reach the pinnacle of his sport is an inspiration to us all.

In these days of doom and gloom we need more people like him.
    I'm not sure we do. Let's look at the facts. In 5 years his 5km time fluctuated between 14.05 and 13.30, an improvement of 35 seconds. After another 6 years he takes another 37 seconds off his best. But bear in mind that going from 13.30 to 12.53 requires a physiological change far more dramatic than the change required to go from 14.05 to 13.30.

I think his performances are suspicious and the fact he is British doesn't make me buy it.

No surprise in CL's response there!!!!

Where are the 'facts' that make you suggest his performances are suspicious CL?

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    I think his performances are suspicious and the fact he is British doesn't make me buy it.
    I see what you're saying, and I agree it's suspicious. There are lots of athletes who suddenly got very good quite late in their careers. Linford Christie being a good example.

It makes it hard for me to get enthusiastic about international athletics. Every time anyone wins anything, I find myself saying "that athlete is either a great sportsperson who deserves all the praise they get, or they are a drugs cheat and are ruining the sport." I find it hard to reconcile two opposing standpoints, and end up somewhere between the two: "They might be great, but I'm not committing myself".

Interesting replies.....Perhaps I'm being naive but I genuinely like Mo Farrah, if he turns out to be another Armstrong then I'll eat my words!

If you knew anything of his training regime when he fluctuated between 14:05 and 13:30 you will know that he was a lazy trainer who did as little as he could get away with.
    People around him knew of his potential but doubted he would ever reach it without a change of attitude.

This has been apparent to those around him for 2 - 3 years now and perhaps marriage, mental maturity and just good old fashioned hard work, listening to advise .... have finally started to pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    If you knew anything of his training regime when he fluctuated between 14:05 and 13:30 you will know that he was a lazy trainer who did as little as he could get away with.
    People around him knew of his potential but doubted he would ever reach it without a change of attitude.

This has been apparent to those around him for 2 - 3 years now and perhaps marriage, mental maturity and just good old fashioned hard work, listening to advise .... have finally started to pay off.
    I'm glad to hear an explanation for his improvement, I don't know much about him but as I've said before he comes across very well in interviews.

I certainly hope he's clean, and it's all down to hard work. Hearing WPs explanation gives me more confidence in this.

You mean Armstrong's a drugs cheat??!!

Master

Until I read this thread I did not suspect him at all. He has been almost there for ages, and he did go to Africa to see how the locals trained - and trained with them - eat/sleep/run/watch TV was the basic routine. Having said that I was surprised at how well he ran on the weekend - I thought the commentators were going to have to eat their words when he came in 10th or so, but of course he didn't, and it was me eating my words.

http://www.thepowerof10.info/results...date=15-Jul-06

Remember this in 2006 - this race on it's own showed the problem with Farah at that time. I think he thought he'd made it. Him and McCormick spent the first half of the race watching each other at the back of the pack whilst they allowed a very good athlete to steal a march on them.

This isn't just him. I think a lot of the funded athletes get above themselves too quickly - the main offenders being our sprinters.

I think this was the first and very public kick up the backside he needed and then of course there's been one or two others along the way.