Thread: Rutherford and Son

Rutherford and Son

Rutherford and Son is a play written by Githa Sowerby in 1910, currently enjoying great success in a production by Northern Broadsides.
    Blake Morrison has tweaked the original text to transplant the action from Tyneside to the West Riding.

Now here's the thing.
    The ageing industrialist patriarch at the centre of the drama, the eponymous Rutherford, owner of a large glassworks, is described as having won the local fell race many times as a young man.
    This, we are given to believe, was the 'Grassington' fell race. He would have been a young man in 1870's or thereabouts.
    Another character refers to the latest race having just taken place, even though the action occurs in winter (Jan/Feb).

My observations would be:
    1. There wasn't, to my knowledge, a 'Grassington Fell Race' as such, and one wonders where the route would have gone.
    2. If they mean Kilnsey, it didn't begin till 1898. Did any fell racing occur in the Dales as early as the 1870s?
    3. In the early days, racing was professional, fields were very small, and it seems highly improbable that, however macho, a company boss would have taken part, especially one who - like Rutherford - was bent on showing himself to be a class above the workers.
    4. Winter would be a very odd choice of date.

I haven't got access to the original text but wonder if the whole fell racing theme was introduced by Blake Morrison to add 'local Yorkshire colour'. It seems misplaced to me.

Has anyone else seen to the play and been mildly annoyed by this? I know it's fictional, but where detail is inserted to suggest realism, it ought to be plausible.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Re: Rutherford and Son

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    Rutherford and Son is a play written by Githa Sowerby in 1910, currently enjoying great success in a production by Northern Broadsides.
    Blake Morrison has tweaked the original text to transplant the action from Tyneside to the West Riding.

Now here's the thing.
    The ageing industrialist patriarch at the centre of the drama, the eponymous Rutherford, owner of a large glassworks, is described as having won the local fell race many times as a young man.
    This, we are given to believe, was the 'Grassington' fell race. He would have been a young man in 1870's or thereabouts.
    Another character refers to the latest race having just taken place, even though the action occurs in winter (Jan/Feb).

My observations would be:
    1. There wasn't, to my knowledge, a 'Grassington Fell Race' as such, and one wonders where the route would have gone.
    2. If they mean Kilnsey, it didn't begin till 1898. Did any fell racing occur in the Dales as early as the 1870s?
    3. In the early days, racing was professional, fields were very small, and it seems highly improbable that, however macho, a company boss would have taken part, especially one who - like Rutherford - was bent on showing himself to be a class above the workers.
    4. Winter would be a very odd choice of date.

I haven't got access to the original text but wonder if the whole fell racing theme was introduced by Blake Morrison to add 'local Yorkshire colour'. It seems misplaced to me.

Has anyone else seen to the play and been mildly annoyed by this? I know it's fictional, but where detail is inserted to suggest realism, it ought to be plausible.

Yes I've seen the WYP production.

No I was not annoyed. As you accept, it is a work of fiction.

(Were you a trainspotter once upon a time?)
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Super Moderator

Thanks heavens this thread is about a play and not a new neo-folkie band I should know all about but have never heard! I'm so behind the times
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Thanks heavens this thread is about a play and not a new neo-folkie band...
    In which case DT, you would hardly find me posting on it!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    In which case DT, you would hardly find me posting on it!
    We need to fire up an old thread about rock 'n' roll. Enough of drab 80's politics. It's soooo last Tuesday :closed:

Yes I've seen the WYP production.

No I was not annoyed. As you accept, it is a work of fiction.

(Were you a trainspotter once upon a time?)

I can't believe that I've been upbraided by Mr Breeze for suggesting that the representation of fell running and its history - even in a work of fiction - should be moderately accurate.

As for trainspotting: what's the point in possessing a bargain copy of SMOTS unless the owner is prepared to read, learn, and commit to memory?

Still, I'm glad to find that there is at least one other playgoer on the forum and applaud your pro-thespianism, Graham.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    I can't believe that I've been upbraided by Mr Breeze for suggesting that the representation of fell running and its history - even in a work of fiction - should be moderately accurate.

As for trainspotting: what's the point in possessing a bargain copy of SMOTS unless the owner is prepared to read, learn, and commit to memory?

Still, I'm glad to find that there is at least one other playgoer on the forum and applaud your pro-thespianism, Graham.

Theatre?

Hugh Leonard's Suburb of Babylon tonight

Super Moderator

Hugh Leonard's Suburb of Babylon tonight
    So that's why I couldn't park by the station this evening :closed:

Theatre?