Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Number Of The Beast

The Number Of The Beast

Ventured into virgin territory on Friday. Had to make a delivery up to Bolton. Realised I was straying into a fell running stronghold but was totally unprepared for the name of the main road in. Surely calling it the A666 is some kind of sick joke??? I was in trepidation of the state of the natives in the City centre but imagine my surprise when I discovered that seemingly 45% of them were on motability scooters! Obviously, a lifetime of fell running seriously knacks yer body!!!

Anyway, I escaped the area on the aforesaid A666 only to find that the true Devils Road is the M60/M62 to Leeds. Blo*dy hell fella's. Serious respect for living with that snake pit. Driving up over Saddleworth Moor is probably the bleakest vista on the planet. Whats the running like there? It looks like tedious tussock and hag running from what I could see.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Re: The Number Of The Beast

That'll be the Pennines in general.
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Ventured into virgin territory on Friday. Had to make a delivery up to Bolton. Realised I was straying into a fell running stronghold but was totally unprepared for the name of the main road in. Surely calling it the A666 is some kind of sick joke??? I was in trepidation of the state of the natives in the City centre but imagine my surprise when I discovered that seemingly 45% of them were on motability scooters! Obviously, a lifetime of fell running seriously knacks yer body!!!

Anyway, I escaped the area on the aforesaid A666 only to find that the true Devils Road is the M60/M62 to Leeds. Blo*dy hell fella's. Serious respect for living with that snake pit. Driving up over Saddleworth Moor is probably the bleakest vista on the planet. Whats the running like there? It looks like tedious tussock and hag running from what I could see.
    M62 best think to come out of Lancashire

Wheeze these are called fells, great soggy hills, brilliant for descending, much better than the rubble you find else where... controversial eh!

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    M62 best think to come out of Lancashire

Wheeze these are called fells, great soggy hills, brilliant for descending, much better than the rubble you find else where... controversial eh!
    I've never run on Saddleworth but I agree Ian. Bleak? Yeah sometimes but also beautiful. These southern softies, eh

I hope your jabs were in order before you crossed over into Yorkshire Wheeze.
    If not I would suggest a period of quarantine, especially around the time of the next full moon
    No country for old men.

the A666 is known locally as the road to hell, I think it's because it was opened by Chris Rea. Saddleworth is some cracking running, aye.

Maybe it isn't the A666 you should worry about:
    http://www.csad.ox.ac.uk/poxy/beast616.htm

the Pennine Way crosses over the summit (obviously) of the M62 on a footbridge
    I did a "Black to Black" run a while back (Black Hill to Blackstone Edge and back) and it was a grand day out
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

The popular races Tanky's of old and now The Trigger start just south of the M62 in Marsden.

Maybe somebody should create a linear race heading north from Marsden. It would either have to go over the Pennine Way foot bridge or through Stott Hall Farm and and tunnel under the motorway.

Master

Im from Saddleworth, live in Saddleworth and love Saddleworth. Best running south of the Lakes in England! Bits of everything
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before