Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's 14th run in 14 days...

Today's 14th run in 14 days...

Over Plover Hill and Pen y Ghent this morning (9.23759 miles I'm told) with Kelly and Harry. Kelly (submerged) demonstrates how to get the mud off properly at the end of a run in the hills while Harry looks on...

Re: Today's 14th run in 14 day

Good pics Stolly and I like Harry's Buff
    No country for old men.

Great pics :thumbup:

Good pics Stolly, looks like you were enjoying the last of the summer sun. What route do you take to, and up Plover Hill? I seem to remember you giving tips for alternative routes up Penyghent somewhere on the forum before, but I couldn't find it again so you may be repeating yourself.
    Last edited by Ze Monsta; 06-09-2011 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ze Monsta View Post
    Good pics Stolly, looks like you were enjoying the last of the summer sun. What route do you take to, and up Plover Hill? I seem to remember you giving tips for alternative routes up Penyghent somewhere on the forum before, but I couldn't find it again so you may be repeating yourself.
    My route ZM is to go up the Pennine Way out of Horton from beside the Trading Post shop towards Pen y Ghent but, when you get to the gate at the end of the cart track just beyond Horton Scar, you follow the path that heads north east-ish towards Foxup Moor. Left at this point is Whitber Hill whilst right is the Pennine Way straight up PyG, and the signpost points straight ahead for Foxup, but you actually want to veer very slightly right and then through the gate 200 yards further on. Then it’s a case of following the track, running largely parallel with the Pen y Ghent ridge until you reach the footpath sign pointing up Plover Hill.

I’ve been reliably informed by my eldest daughter (so say this to yourself in your best geeky, know it all voice) that the Pen y Ghent ridge line is a classic example of a glacial crag and tail - where hard rock has faced up to the glacial flow and created a tail behind it. Pen y Ghent is the ‘crag’ and Plover Hill is the ‘tail’. I prefer to compare the ridge to the sphinx in Egypt with PyG being the face and PH being the arse

If you’re as ‘finer’ runner as me you’ll be able to run all the way up to the top of Plover Hill and then it’s a magnificently boggy run along the ridge line all the way to the trig on PyG. From there I drop down the normal 3 peaks descent but at the bottom of the side of the hill then follow the middle line grassy track cutting a line down to Hull Pot (this path goes straight down the middle of the main 3P walkers path to the right and the Pennine Way to the left). At Hull Pot you could return to Horton following the cart track you came up along but I head straight on, over Whitber Hill and down to Sell Gill Pot, before following the other Pennine Way (aka the Ribble Way) back to Horton.

Parked up at near Hill Inn this mornin then up Ingleborough 3p route.......Simon Fell, Park Fell, Ribblehead then onto Whernside by way of Seavey Bottom track.Bloody windy but missed most of the heavy rain,15ml.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    My route ZM is to go up the Pennine Way out of Horton from beside the Trading Post shop towards Pen y Ghent but, when you get to the gate at the end of the cart track just beyond Horton Scar, you follow the path that heads north east-ish towards Foxup Moor. Left at this point is Whitber Hill whilst right is the Pennine Way straight up PyG, and the signpost points straight ahead for Foxup, but you actually want to veer very slightly right and then through the gate 200 yards further on. Then it’s a case of following the track, running largely parallel with the Pen y Ghent ridge until you reach the footpath sign pointing up Plover Hill.
    Cheers Stolly, that's not a million miles from what I thought looking at my rather venerable 3P map. I'm always looking for variations to spice up familiar runs- can never have too many options. Penyghent from Horton gives you quite a few nice options for looping runs, not found many really enjoyable looping runs up Ingleborough from Horton though, always end up slogging past Sulber on an out and back which can be a bit of a drag.

I pretty much always run Ingleborough from Austwick nowadays ZM - up over Norber to Nick pot, up to the shoulder of Ingleborough from there, a lap round the top of Simon Fell and Park Fell, then over the top of Ingleborough, down via Little Ingleborough and Gaping Gill, back up to the cairn on Norber and back the way I started. A brilliant 15 ish miler

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I pretty much always run Ingleborough from Austwick nowadays ZM - up over Norber to Nick pot, up to the shoulder of Ingleborough from there, a lap round the top of Simon Fell and Park Fell, then over the top of Ingleborough, down via Little Ingleborough and Gaping Gill, back up to the cairn on Norber and back the way I started. A brilliant 15 ish miler
    Yup, with you there, the route from Clapham is good as well, just gives you a different run on via the nature trail and Trow Gill.

18th in 18 tonight and 108 miles over the 18 days so far. 4.57 miles and 417 feet this evening according to my beautiful assistant