Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's EPO yawn

Re: Todays EPO yawn

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Of course it has but you've been on it that long you've forgotten how slow you'd be without.
    You're right, although it's not used to "enhance" performance but to put athletes with asthma on a level playing field with non-asthmatics
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Yeah, well you would be slow if someone stuffed a sock in your mouth and expected you to breath through it...s'what it feels like!
    No offence Wheeze but some GPs prescribe inhalers like they're given away free candy. I was given an inhaler as a 14 year old by my GP and I used it twice. Did it help me? It certainly helped me run! Did I 'need it'? Did I heck. I realised it and threw it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Keswick_Krumble View Post
    No offence Wheeze but some GPs prescribe inhalers like they're given away free candy. I was given an inhaler as a 14 year old by my GP and I used it twice. Did it help me? It certainly helped me run! Did I 'need it'? Did I heck. I realised it and threw it away.
    That may be the case, but for those of us that have or have had serious asthma don't find it fair to tar us all with the same brush.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    That may be the case, but for those of us that have or have had serious asthma don't find it fair to tar us all with the same brush.
    Fair enough Rob but the issue is that it may giving some an advantage. As someone who was "prescribed" the medication, I can speak that it proved beneficial in the 2 runs I used it for.

Fair enough Rob but the issue is that it may giving some an advantage. As someone who was "prescribed" the medication, I can speak that it proved beneficial in the 2 runs I used it for.
    How do you know you wouldn't have run well anyway, or even if you'd been given a placebo?

because even by the age of 14 i could consider myself to be very experienced if not talented.

because even by the age of 14 i could consider myself to be very experienced if not talented.
    I've seen it loads of times where athletes have a purple patch of 2-3 weeks during a season - how do you know it wasn't yours?

2 runs is not a big enough sample size to make sweeping conclusions like that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathens View Post
    I've seen it loads of times where athletes have a purple patch of 2-3 weeks during a season - how do you know it wasn't yours?

2 runs is not a big enough sample size to make sweeping conclusions like that.
    I refer to my earlier answer.....because I was experienced enough and knowledgeable enough to know that it wasn't it. Your reference to a "Purple Patch" shows ignorance....even at 14, I could tell when I was likely to be in my own best form. It's not hard to figure. I was also intelligent enough to know when a medication was blatantly helping a performance and in what way it was helping.

It is not a sweeping conclusion.

KK

I refer to my earlier answer.....because I was experienced enough and knowledgeable enough to know that it wasn't it. Your reference to a "Purple Patch" shows ignorance....even at 14, I could tell when I was likely to be in my own best form. It's not hard to figure. I was also intelligent enough to know when a medication was blatantly helping a performance and in what way it was helping.

It is not a sweeping conclusion.

KK
    Shows ignorance does it? The only one showing ignorance is the person making sweeping generalisations because they thought they knew everything at 14. You obviously weren't intelligent enough at 14 to realise that 2 samples don't make a scientific study and that your experience was purely anecdotal. If you'd repeated it at a different time and got the same results then it may have a little more credence.

As it is, you can't be sure that it was aiding your performance; boasting how clever and knowledgeable you were at 14 doesn't make it true. I'm not saying it isn't actually true - merely that you can't draw any conclusions from your purely anecdotal evidence. You've not even said what type of inhaler you were using.

Incidentally, the corticosteroids in some asthma inhalers are a derivative of Cortisol which destroys muscle so long term usage could be counter productive.

By the way, my 1500m PB was at a BMC meeting after 2 weeks of a cold and a night on the beers the night before because I thought I wasn't going to be well enough to race.

I knocked 8 seconds off my PB - does this suggest that not training for 2 weeks and going clubbing is a surefire way of getting a PB? Anecdotal evidence would suggest it is....