Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trouserage - options?

Trouserage - options?

Hi,

What kind of legwear do folk opt for when the weather turns too foul/cold to wear shorts?

I don't really like the idea of tight tights, so I suppose that leaves something like Tracksters - but how do Tracksters fair when the weather is wet? Do they just go all soggy and heavy?
    What other options are available for those who are not keen to demonstrate the precise dimensions of their wedding tackle?
    (Is it acceptable to wear tights under shorts?!)

As for when it's wet, but not that cold, you can obviously stick to shorts(?) I have my first long run on Saturday and it promises to be wet. I can imagine that I will get chaffed to hell. The missus has got a stick of Bodyglide - will that do the trick?
    I'll be taking waterproofs to keep the organisers happy (at least). I have some Berghaus Deluge. I can't imagine running in them - they would be far to sweaty and flappy, plus the static charge created may be hazardous should I break wind.
    Does anyone ever actually run in waterproof trousers? If so, can you point me in the right direction for something suitable?

Thanks,

Joe

Re: Trouserage - options?

I got some 3/4 length ron hill jobbies. they don't drag down when wet like the tracksters do, and they seem to me to be a good compromise. Keep the worst of the cold at bay, dry out fast and still comfy to wear when wringing wet. Coupled with them undershorts with a strategically placed windproofy bit at the front, they're great for cold and wintry weather.

I wear full length Ron Hill tracksters...the ones with loops under yr feet...in cold/wet. Not had any issues with them getting bogged down (in bog or rain) as yet, they don't feel wet on yr legs and dry out nicely as yr running. Wouldn't go for ones without loops under feet, somehow wouldn't feel as secure. what is important with these is not to get them too baggy - mine are a nice snug fit so no extra material hanging loose at the bottom.

If conscious of the 'Look at my tackle' scenario maybe a longer top that will strategically cover this as suggested above as i do find the modern tights to be fantastic for all weathers. I have a pair of Ron Hill tights myself and i am quite conscious and the long top seems to do. Alternatively you could go for the Cucumber in Foil down tights spinal tap routine. This may have the advantage of putting other runners off and you may finish much further up the field.:-)
    They called me mad and i called them mad and damn them they outvoted me !!!.

Tights under shorts is acceptable, although I think it looks a bit over-fussy. If your tights are black and your tackle is not of elephantine proportions (making no assumptions here) then I don't think you'll be pulled up for indecency.

If it's wet and you're concerned about chafing, a liberal coating of Vaseline should do the trick. Bodyglide sounds like a feminine hygiene product or something a lady would shave her legs with. Either way I wouldn't wave it around in a race car park.

Love the thought of your running / statically charging / farting creating a series of sparks and small fires in your wake!

Can't get on with tights at all, wore them once and once only. I felt stupid wearing them and they chaffed my sack red raw.
    Don't feel the need for owt but shorts, as long as they have a lining.
    Last edited by Ze Monsta; 07-09-2011 at 12:09 PM.

I dunno, why would you wear shorts over running tights? It's just telling the world how self-conscious you are! I can understand people not liking running tights, but it's one of those things you have to get over or on long days out your legs will be cold at some point unless, of course, you are simply dead 'ard RH tracksters are an option for those who don't like the snug fit, but a lot of fell runners prefer 3/4 tights don't they? Having tried them, I can see the logic ... saves the nasty feeling of wet fabric around your calves (i.e. having just gone up to your knees in bog) yet keeps the majority of your leg warm.

When really cold I wear a pair of lycra sprinter shorts and then running tights on top and know several other blokes who do the same. Works for me. As for waterproof bottoms, well, I have a pair of ultralight Adidas trousers that are best described as "slightly showerproof" but pack down to the size of a matchbox and meet FRA regs for most races. My missus has a pair of Adidas Supernova trousers that are only slightly more bulky and more waterproof, but the only other trousers I have is a pair of heavyweight Sprayway Gore-tex and they are not good for running in at all. If I could afford it, I think I'd go for a pair of those Montane Atomic DT pants, but they're on the Wants rather than Need list at the moment!
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    . Bodyglide sounds like a feminine hygiene product or something a lady would shave her legs with. Either way I wouldn't wave it around in a race car park.
    p.s. I use Bodyglide, nowt like it for stopping wetsuits from rubbing your neck to bits, also ok for between the legs and it doesn't wear off as fast as vaseline. I reckon my masculinity can cope with it That said, vaseline is still the best for between your toes, it never fails
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

OMM Kamleika race pant

http://www.theomm.com/products/cloth...&category_id=2

Great trouser, been very happy with mine.
    "That was the night everything changed"

My feedback:

Ronhill tracksters are great, but on a run last Sunday in constant misty drizzle, they never got a chance to dry as I ran and they weighed a lot by the time I was home (they were dripping like they'd been dipped in the sink).

Tights are good and I never have the problem of showing off exact dimensions, although perhaps I should be concerned about the lack of that!

Shorts are better, I'd say pretty much regardless of the weather, depending how long you're out, but I have to wear a knee length stocking due to a calf problem so tend to wear tracksters to cover it as jogging along in stockings in a non-race situation would no doubt get me into situations that'd have me scurrying to the 'Runner Abuse' thread in no time.

(ps, Odlo pants deal with chafage brilliantly)