Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Butter? YES PLEASE

Re: Butter? YES PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    What is this device you speak of?

I'm guessing it's a dish containing some butter (Clouseau...) that you keep out of the fridge ready for immediate use? In that case, what makes it OK to keep that butter out of the fridge when the main stock has to be kept cool?

I'm not picking holes in your strategy, just interested to understand.
    I refer you to Brotherton Lad's textbook answer above... though as OHW says, it is imperative that butter stocks be closely monitored and transferred from fridge to dish in a manner so as not to leave no spreadable butter in the dish for impromptu sandwiches and the like. This would be a BAD SITUATION.

As to what happens in the winter if your kitchen is colder than a fridge, throwing the above butter management strategy off a bit, I recommend the airing cupboard or perhaps under one's pillow.

I've experienced a number of bad butter situations in my time, I can tell you. But then the training kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    I've experienced a number of bad butter situations in my time, I can tell you. But then the training kicks in.
    Absolutely. I have to say, with autumn in full effect here I'm finding my butter is perhaps a little bit firmer than would be ideal. I experienced some minor damage to a lightly toasted slice of bread this morning that was most upsetting. I'm currently considering new, slightly warmer locations for my butter dish.

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    Good to have you back Roy

Lurpac spreadable is the answer

I will have to try the Lurpac one. I always find these "spreadable" butters not very spreadable :thunbdown:

Butterley mad the lot of you!!!!

To be honest we use marg or 'spreads' for convenience.....may now get the butter dish out again

Butter is luvverly, who can resist a toasted teacake smothered in the stuff? Not quite the same with olive spread. I was temporarily lured back to the 'low fat margarine darkside' after various visits from my family who are invariably on diets but I'm back on the right track now. I used to have a problem in the winter with the fact that my kitchen is often colder than my fridge and so the butter had to be microwaved to make it useable but now I have been introduced to Lurpak spreadable and that's working out well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nee Bother View Post
    Butterley mad the lot of you!!!!

To be honest we use marg or 'spreads' for convenience.....may now get the butter dish out again
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Funny that... the dieting ones always seem to go for the low fat option...

If you look in the supermarket trollies of the "not so athletic" population (you can be as surreptitious as you like about this), you'll notice that they tend to have "diet" and "low fat" and "low sugar" options for a lot of the food.
    Now, if there people are eating that stuff and are still not what I might call "not obese" I'm not going to touch it.

(sorry, double negative there, but you know what I mean)

No, no. no. That spreadable stuff is only 47% butter, then a load of water and 22% vegetable oil.

I too think that people scoffing low fat options fill their faces more (probably sub-consciously trying to get a sensible amount of fat inside them).

Morning Ian. I've been off the road with dodgy knees and a bad back. I thought maybe posting on here might spark enough enthusiasm to start training again.
    Last edited by Brotherton Lad; 09-09-2011 at 11:44 AM.