Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacing at Devil's Beeftub

Pacing at Devil's Beeftub

Was out watching the Devil's Beeftub race last weekend.

Appalling conditions with very low visibility saw part of the men's field head the wrong direction, many of them ending up finishing way further down in the field as expected. Clearly showing that race results do not solely depend on fitness but also on navigational skills of an athlete.

Watching the ladies final descent, I was shocked to see the leading woman following a runner (I believe her husband) wearing a high-vis vest. Not only was this runner aiding the leading female runner with the navigation but also the pacing on the final descent.

After all this race was part of a NATIONAL hill racing Championship and as much as fellrunning has a no-fuss, minimal rules and regulations approach - I am unsure if this is fair practice?

BEEF

Re: Pacing at Devil's Beeftub

3/10, poor

Quote Originally Posted by edxasg View Post

Appalling conditions with very low visibility saw part of the men's field head the wrong direction, many of them ending up finishing way further down in the field as expected.
    Why didn't you shout us then!!!!!!!!!!!! I nearly broke my legs trying to chase back down that decent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned

No worries

You can "pace" someone on a road, you can "pace" someone on a track, but over that sort of terrain? Nonsense. If you mean someone showed her where to run, so that she didn't throw away a 2 1/2 minute lead - well I for one am glad they did. I didn't see a map of the course, or a list of checkpoints displayed at the start, or at registration, so she could hardly be expected to navigate the course. As for the insinuation that Pippa is less than a worthy champion (and lets face it, that is what you are saying) - rubbish. That was a fabulous run, and an immaculate descent. Nice one Pippa!

Quote Originally Posted by edxasg View Post

Appalling conditions with very low visibility saw part of the men's field head the wrong direction, many of them ending up finishing way further down in the field as expected. Clearly showing that race results do not solely depend on fitness but also on navigational skills of an athlete.

Watching the ladies final descent, I was shocked to see the leading woman following a runner (I believe her husband) wearing a high-vis vest. Not only was this runner aiding the leading female runner with the navigation but also the pacing on the final descent.

After all this race was part of a NATIONAL hill racing Championship and as much as fellrunning has a no-fuss, minimal rules and regulations approach - I am unsure if this is fair practice?
    Don't see the issue really, tips from locals is normal, and Pippa was so far ahead in the standings her end position wouldn't have been crucial would it?

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Don't see the issue really, tips from locals is normal, and Pippa was so far ahead in the standings her end position wouldn't have been crucial would it?
    Absolutely agree, Iain. In fact I look forward to the day when this practice is universal and all the runners in women-only championship races have their own pet bloke showing them the way! :sneaky:
    Nowt ails a good bread eater!

Quote Originally Posted by Rudolph Hooker View Post
    Absolutely agree, Iain. In fact I look forward to the day when this practice is universal and all the runners in women-only championship races have their own pet bloke showing them the way! :sneaky:
    but they'd have to be careful not to get in the way, they might get knocked over?

It's an interesting one this. Do I think it makes Pippa any less of a champion? - no not at all. And in a race like this it's just a case of not going wrong. Also, they'd have to pretty good to stay ahead of her

So in a race like this, it doesn't offend me at all.

But if someone had a pacer for eg, Borrowdale, then that would give them an advantage over others, and would detract from the spirit of the event.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    It's an interesting one this. Do I think it makes Pippa any less of a champion? - no not at all. And in a race like this it's just a case of not going wrong. Also, they'd have to pretty good to stay ahead of her

So in a race like this, it doesn't offend me at all.

But if someone had a pacer for eg, Borrowdale, then that would give them an advantage over others, and would detract from the spirit of the event.
    And the difference is...................? None.
    This is clearly double standards.