Thread: A Friendly Greeting?

Re: A Friendly Greeting?

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Cyclists- nodders
    Fell runners- nodders
    Hikers- nodders
    Road runners- blankers
    Same here but also when on motor bike a nod of the head to other bikers

Road geeks only say hi to other lcyra clad geeks wont even look at you if you on a mountain bike which i always am.
    Last edited by andygib1982; 13-09-2011 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    Yes, but I was in a forest in Catalunya and the other runner looked slightly confused.
    I've had same response just oer hill in Lancashire. Love them lancs though, lovely accent.
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    Net wrong wi a reet good Yorkshire 'Ey up, how at a doin'
    I've been trying that since moving to Scotland, with a mixed response.

Quote Originally Posted by Stef F View Post
    Road runners blankers? Rubbish. You get a mix of responses from all types. Personally I'm a smile and cheery greeting sort whether road running, cycling, hiking or fell running
    Totally agree that you get a mix of responses from all types. If I'm out walking in the Dales for example I'll say hi to runners and whether running on fells/moors/footpaths/towpaths/road will say hi to those that are obviously 'walkers' as opposed to just 'out for a stroll'. In both scenarios the majority will respond with a friendly greeting too.

I wonder if the slightly higher proportion of the people that have blanked me being road runners has more to do with the terrain and less to do with the person. I find road running rhythmic (some would say monotonous but I have some lovely roads around my neck of the woods!) and I can easily go off into a dreamworld and become oblivious to people where as off-road, I tend to be 'in the moment' and far more aware of my surroundings. Maybe its just people too busy thinking about their tea!
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    Maybe its just people too busy thinking about their tea!
    Or wearing headphones...I do that when faced with the monotony of tarmac, and it does tend to put you in a world of your own.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

I find it's best just to stick two fingers up at anyone you encounter. Avoids confusion I find.

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    I find it's best just to stick two fingers up at anyone you encounter. Avoids confusion I find.
    Haha! I like your tactic dom!I've always found that road runners are perhaps less inclined to say hello, but I've also thought that's partly because there's generally more people about, whereas in the hills it's more of an event, actually seeing another human!One thing that seems to have changed in recent times is walkers saying hello. I remember being amazed as a kid that EVERYONE said hello when we were in the countryside. Nowadays, probably only really in honey pot tourist areas, I find people trying to avoid eye contact which makes it difficult to exchange a friendly greeting... My husband is paranoid sometimes that it's his appearance, that he looks too much like a city boy, and that people assume he'll be unfriendly or something which is hilarious! More likely the other way around!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    I had a little run by the Mersey today with the dog and there were joggers a plenty on the banks. I always give fellow runners a nod or a "hello", maybe it's a cycling thing (cyclists always do this), but many don't reciprocate.

Maybe it's me but I find this a bit rude! What does everyone else reckon? Are you a nodder or a blanker?
    See, if you ran Monday night on the Mersey you would have had an Hello from me and my mate. We let on to most runners, especially good looking ones!!!
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    See, if you ran Monday night on the Mersey you would have had an Hello from me and my mate. We let on to most runners, especially good looking ones!!!
    How do you know I'm good looking!! :w00t:

The only person who said hello last night was a very attractive lady runner - cheered me up after being blanked by a load of fat blokes!