Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jacks Rake

Jacks Rake

Hi all,

Not sure whether Im in the wrong forum Category here but oh well.

Im going up to the langdales for the weekend dossing about on the hills. My two walking buddies want to do Jacks Rake on the saturday. Now I have not let on to them that i am a bit of a wet Arse when it comes to exposed scrambles.

I have done Striding Edge and did not like
    I have Broad Stand and did not like.

How does jacks rake compare to these two and is it very exposed. Its the thin paths long drops that really get me jittery.

Thanks

Big tough fell runner who wants to maintain his dignity in front of his walking mates.
    Last edited by NotOnUrHelly; 07-06-2007 at 01:29 PM.

Re: Jacks Rake

Jack's Rake is a bit odd because apart from one exposed step which is unavoidable (as far as I remember) it doesn't feel very exposed because you can stay in the gully rather than walk on the edge (which is much more fun, if you enjoy exposure).

The thing is that Jack's Rake doesn't feel nearly as dangerous as it is whereas the other two do.

It is easy - just don't fall.

Must admit I haven't done the other two, but I have done Jakes Rake, and I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it gave any feelings of exposure as mentioned above, you're mainly in the gulley.

However I did come from a climbing background, so obviously maybe what I think of as unexposed and easy is not what a non climber would think as such.

My brother also enjoyed it, and he was slightly more reserved about climbing than I was (he's now quite enthusiastic about it). A number of the other members of the party who had little or no climbing or scrambling experiences also enjoyed it, with no jittery moments.

Best thing to do is not think about it too much, focus on the moves rather than the surroundings (until you top out), and then you won't get jittery. If you do look around try and think about the beauty rather than the illogical (sorry hope that doesn't sound offensive) thoughts of "Oh my god, I'm high up", "If I fall I'll hurt myself", and convincing yourself that the worse will happen.
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

I'll agree with all of above.

All that I will add is make sure that you're not just behind a slow party (or any party). I can handle the exposure if I'm moving but once I'm forced to stop with someone in front whittering on about not being able to get up (not that there is anything that difficult) then I start to feel uncomfortable. You do get some fantastic views mind.

The Joker
    fell running.....are you trying to be funny?

The Ambleside owls did this during the winter and there's some good photos on John's website - http://johnfleetwood.smugmug.com/gal...0457#113729655

Advantage of doing it at night is that you don't get to see the drops - i was still too chicken & decided navigating round on my own in the pitch black in horrid weather was a lot less scary .

Never dared to go up in summer yet either - a swim in Stickle tarn seeming a better option/good excuse

Viewing it from around Stickle Tarn it looks more exposed than it actually is - would sooner do this than Broad Stand any day

alwaysinjured

Jamie,

Jakes Rake is nowhere compared to broad stand.

The reality is that for most of it you are well away from the edge

The one thing I would say is that at one point it becomes a steep side gulley, and the top of that gulley section is quite a long move. iI is certainly easier if you climb up the rocks to the left( the exposed side)

But even at its worst, there is nowhere near the kind of exposure you feel on broad stand or striding edge: and it technical difficulty it is a lot easier too. Broadstand is a technical climbing move, there is nothing like that on jakes rake.

Thanks Everyone,

Ill try put a brave face on it.

Advantage of doing it at night is that you don't get to see the drops - i was still too chicken & decided navigating round on my own in the pitch black in horrid weather was a lot less scary .
    Those poor dogs missed out on a classic scramble tut tut
    well at least they got Striding edge done

I've done all three but I'm a climber first fellrunner second

Striding Edge is really just a walk with a short drop at the end that you can jump down in places not exposed at all, done this in rain and with deep snow covering.

On Jakes Rake you have to use your hands a bit more but where its hardest there is not much exposure and the holds are huge, near the top can feel the exposure for a short bit but its really easy and mostly on your feet, I've done this in the rain.

As for Broad Stand lets just say I've NEVER done it in the rain or snow, much too serious and have known climbers rope up to get down it when its been damp (its the descent for routes on Scafell)

So if you have got up Broad Stand you won't find Jakes Rake bad at all

Bill

Those poor dogs missed out on a classic scramble tut tut
    ...it's a dogs life - the things those poor things have to miss out on

Got closer to the edge than i would have liked to that evening in the Langdales cause Jess wasn't at all convinced it was a good idea to loose you guys and tried to catch up with you from above...