Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jacks Rake

undercover moderator

Re: Jacks Rake

I went off the path a bit on the slabs at the top, and it felt uncomfortable. I'm a big girls's blouse when it comes to exposure though.

I also had a bit of an experience with a sheep up there (stop sniggering).

Halfway up, I made my way past one dead-and-very-smelly sheep, only to find another very fresh dead one a few metres ahead.

When I reached the top, I chatted to the guy who'd been scrambling 100m ahead of me. In conversation it transpired that he'd only been faced by one dead sheep, but had seen an unhappy cragfast one above the path.

In the space between us going up, the cragfast sheep had plummetted to its death.

Easy scramble or not, I wouldn't want to be hit by a falling sheep on it....

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    I'll agree with all of above.

behind a slow party (or any party)......You do get some fantastic views mind.

The Joker
    Yes, especially when you've been asked to bring up the rear of the party by the leader, and there's a few 20 something female venture scouts on the route. "Here let me push you up onto that ledge"...., "Don't worry if you fall, you'll land on top of me"........
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

I think Striding Edge is far easier than Jakes Rake. On Striding there is an optional easier path route for most of the route, there is no such option on Jakes Rake. You can tuck in the gully but there are definate climbing moves to be done, and if anyone gets scared there is no way to go but onward, retreat would be even worse

Go on and do it Jamie, I really don't think you'll have a problem at all. I've done it a few times with novices... my youngest, Luke did it when he was 7 or 8 and last year he went up with his mother who isn't really a hill walker at all. My dad says that I went up it when I was 2, in a papoose, but I don't remember that. It doesn't feel half as scary as it looks from the other side of the tarn.

The most fun I've had on there was with an 18 stone American, whose legs weren't strong enough to lift his body weight up the bigger steps. I had to put my shoulder under his arse and push him from below.

I wouldn't really call striding edge a scramble - you might find Crib Goch more interesting though!