Thread: Exercise-induced asthma?

Exercise-induced asthma?

When running hard (usually more in racing than training.... I don't train very hard!) I quite often experience a very sharp pain in my chest and find it very difficult to catch my breath. About 5 or 6 years ago I went to the doctor as my dad thought I might have exercise-induced asthma as he thinks I wheeze/breath heavily a lot when running (I don't notice myself)... however the doctor (a rather overweight bloke who smokes a lot) basically said it was a normal reaction to exercise. I did have a lung function test (or something similar) which was normal... however it was done after sitting in a waiting room for 20mins, not after or during exercise which is the only time i ever get a problem. I did have an inhaler for a few years, but I'm not sure it really made much difference. However, now that I do a lot more training and racing than back then I am noticing the problem more...
    Anyone here suffer from this/something similar? Or do I just need to get fitter??
    But in the end, journeys brought joys that outweighed the pain - F.T.

Re: Exercise-induced asthma?

A sharp pain in the chest and difficulty getting breath sounds a little worrying to me. I've had asthma since I was very young, and whilst it comes on in much the same manner as you describe, I've never had a pain in the chest at the same time. I would be tempted to go back and see a different doctor for a second opinion.
    Last edited by Rob Furness; 18-09-2011 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Corrective text
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    A sharp painkiller the chest and difficulty getting breath sounds a little worrying to me. I've had asthma since I was very young, and whilst it comes on in much the same manner as you describe, I've never had a pain in the chest at the same time. I would be tempted to go back and see a different doctor for a second opinion.
    If you're not happy then go back to your GP or another GP.....GP's that consider you 'a time waster' are poor practitioners.

xx

KK

Here you go pal read this.

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...ghlight=asthma

About three years ago Ihad a torrid time when running my breathing would cut out exactly twenty minutes into running.

Basically,monitor your peakflows. Before running, peak flow when the chest tightens (note the time into run) and then time to recovery and recovery peak flow.

you can buy a peak flow meter in boots

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...ch&um=1&itbs=1

Then go request to see an asthma nurse your gp will put you onto one

If it is asthma they will sort it out with steroid inhalers within about 2 months.

I have been under control for about three years but I was really struggling and it was horrible. As you canprobably tell from my despair in the above thread

Cheers Jamie

I've had exercise-induced asthma for several years. It was preventing me from running properly, particularly in the winter. My peak flow is around 500 l/min, but should be around 600 l/min - the peak flow meter comes with charts that help you work out what your peak flow should be. When the asthma is affecting me, my peak flow comes down to around 350 l/min.

Using a blue (salbutamol) reliever inhaler before exercise controlled the symptoms until earlier this year when I started having much more severe attacks, including when asleep and at rest. I'm now on a brown steroid preventer inhaler and this has stopped any further attacks. I see the asthma nurse every few months and the dose of the steroid is being brought down to a lower dose that is still sufficient to prevent attacks.

I agree with the others, get to a GP, preferably with a few peak flow measurements, but it isn't essential as I was prescribed a peak flow meter. I didn't have to ask to see the asthma nurse - that seemed to be normal practice.

I was never bothered by asthma as a child and at grammar school I ran in the schools cross country team. Got back into running at 32 years of age and the first couple of years on the fells ( '83 & '84 ) produced results better than I had dared to hope for ( e.g. inside the top half of a championship field with 1 hour 31 mins at Coniston in '84 when Kenny Stuart set a record of 1.06 ). In '85 I continued to train just as hard but my running went into a slump. This continued through '86, until in August of that year I underwent a routine occupational health check - the company doctor was incredulous that I was a fell runner; with a peak flow rate of just 350 against the expected 600. He did confirm that I had a runner's steady heartbeat - nothing wrong there.
    I was referred to my GP then the Royal Lancaster Infirmary for investigative tests. The conclusion was that I had contracted athletically induced asthma. I do use both purple inhalers (preventative, twice daily) and blue inhalers (as and when needed) but find that they do not make as much difference as maintaining a sustainable training regime. I also find that cycling appears to be more beneficial and more sustainable than running. After a month or so of regular, steady cycling, my uphill running is vastly improved to what it was before the cycling training.

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    I was never bothered by asthma as a child and at grammar school I ran in the schools cross country team. Got back into running at 32 years of age and the first couple of years on the fells ( '83 & '84 ) produced results better than I had dared to hope for ( e.g. inside the top half of a championship field with 1 hour 31 mins at Coniston in '84 when Kenny Stuart set a record of 1.06 ). In '85 I continued to train just as hard but my running went into a slump. This continued through '86, until in August of that year I underwent a routine occupational health check - the company doctor was incredulous that I was a fell runner; with a peak flow rate of just 350 against the expected 600. He did confirm that I had a runner's steady heartbeat - nothing wrong there.
    I was referred to my GP then the Royal Lancaster Infirmary for investigative tests. The conclusion was that I had contracted athletically induced asthma. I do use both purple inhalers (preventative, twice daily) and blue inhalers (as and when needed) but find that they do not make as much difference as maintaining a sustainable training regime. I also find that cycling appears to be more beneficial and more sustainable than running. After a month or so of regular, steady cycling, my uphill running is vastly improved to what it was before the cycling training.
    I saw no signs of you being out of breath last night Ian whilst you were whirling round like a dervish

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I saw no signs of you being out of breath last night Ian whilst you were whirling round like a dervish
    Ian, all part of the "sustainable training regime". Plus, I had spent the afternoon exploring bridleways across the Shap fells on the trusty old 'cross bike.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 10-10-2011 at 09:47 AM.

my wife had asthma as a child and grew out of it , or so it seemed .she started running in may and almost straight away started getting breathless even at a slow jog, so tried someones spare blue inhaler and that cured the problem. she now takes the blue inhaler before a run and is fine. once or twice shes not taken it to see if she could stop using it but within 1/2 mile shes wheezing and gasping. havent done the flow meter tests though may have to look at that with her.