Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FRA rules for safety and stuff

Re: FRA rules for safety and s

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    DuctClaws, DuctLites, RocDuct, BareDuct, FlyDuct................all Sticky!
    I've bought some Bare-Duct for Tanky's. It's about half as thick with less glue but it costs twice as much! Let's hope it doesn't fall apart at the first sign of heather eh?

Quote Originally Posted by GEE View Post
    In 250 different fell races I have entered only ONE race which demanded a water proof top in the kit requirements and I remember it well because I went out and bought a new top at considerable expense.

So what is all the fuss about ?
    Fair weather runner eh!

In 250 different fell races I have entered only ONE race which demanded a water proof top in the kit requirements and I remember it well because I went out and bought a new top at considerable expense.

So what is all the fuss about ?
    Jura, Ben Nevis, LDMT, OMM etc just to name just a few and lots of races specify them on the day if the weather is poor. I dont think the fuss is about carrying waterproofs, most of us are happy to do that if asked but I think a lot of us prefer pertex and in reasonable conditions will usually take that in preference if the organiser doesn't ask for waterproof. The fuss often arises over unclear expectations, ie requests for 'full body cover' or 'wind/waterproof body cover' or 'waterproof body cover' or 'waterproof body cover with taped seams' or 'weatherproof body cover' and I have done one race this year with several notices up at the start each requesting a diffferent level of kit. Causes all sorts of recurring discussions on here, usually provokes some strong reactions and never gets resolved. I just turn up with a selection of kit and take what I'm asked to, if I can understand what it is I'm being asked to take - if I cant (does wind/waterproof mean wind or waterproof or both?) I just take my waterproofs.
    Last edited by Mark G; 19-09-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    Jura, Ben Nevis, LDMT, OMM etc just to name just a few and lots of races specify them on the day if the weather is poor. I dont think the fuss is about carrying waterproofs, most of us are happy to do that if asked but I think a lot of us prefer pertex and in reasonable conditions will usually take that in preference if the organiser doesn't ask for waterproof. The fuss often arises over unclear expectations, ie requests for 'full body cover' or 'wind/waterproof body cover' or 'waterproof body cover' or 'waterproof body cover with taped seams' or 'weatherproof body cover' and I have done one race this year with several notices up at the start each requesting a diffferent level of kit. Causes all sorts of recurring discussions on here, usually provokes some strong reactions and never gets resolved. I just turn up with a selection of kit and take what I'm asked to, if I can understand what it is I'm being asked to take - if I cant (does wind/waterproof mean wind or waterproof or both?) I just take my waterproofs.
    Struggling? OMM is not listed in the FRA Calendar, Jura and Ben are Scottish races and not registered by the FRA.

The Calendar sets a minimum level but the RO runs his race and he can demand anything at the last minute whatever the Calendar says and whatever the RO in his own pre-race advice says. He has a Duty of Care. He is not obliged to let you start in his -not the FRA's- race.

If you have the full kit you take it all to the race but on the day you may not need to carry it all.

What is so difficult to understand?

I watched Naked Gun the other day - good job really I've decided to take one of these with me round Langdale in a few weeks... Attachment 5115

Interesting i shall do my best to bring a selection that covers things.
    They called me mad and i called them mad and damn them they outvoted me !!!.

Struggling? OMM is not listed in the FRA Calendar, Jura and Ben are Scottish races and not registered by the FRA.

The Calendar sets a minimum level but the RO runs his race and he can demand anything at the last minute whatever the Calendar says and whatever the RO in his own pre-race advice says. He has a Duty of Care. He is not obliged to let you start in his -not the FRA's- race.

If you have the full kit you take it all to the race but on the day you may not need to carry it all.

What is so difficult to understand?
    I think you might have misunderstood my point. I dont take issue with ROs asking for whatever kit they feel is necessary and thats one of the reasons I take a lot and already do as you have suggested here. My points were that its not always clear what the RO is actually requesting, and that it has been my experience that increasing numbers of ROs are asking for 'waterproof' over and above the basic FRA requirement (or as I pointed out in my first post, at one race this year for 'full body cover' 'windproof body cover' or 'waterproof body cover' depending on which notice you happened to read at registration). Surprisingly enough having been fell running for over 20 years I already know and fully accept that they can stop me or anyone else from starting if we dont meet their kit requirements, it would be a good thing if that happened more often - the bit I find frustrating and difficult to understand is that we are trying to follow rules which are vague and open to degrees of interpretation.
    Unfortunately whenever discussions of this nature arise on here, as they do often, a lot of people seem to think that anyone raisng these kinds of issues is either looking for a way 'round the rules', moaning about ROs, or are some kind of pedantic gear freak who would like a FRA standard for hydrostatic performance of race cags. Actually some of us just want to respect the RO by doing as he or she asks. It might simplify matters an awful lot if we had just two definitions - perhaps windproof full body cover (including hood) and waterproof full body cover (including hood) with taped seams, for example. There again it might not, and I'm sure these sorts of discussions will rumble on forever...... (is a buff a hat? are tracksters windproof? and so on).
    Last edited by Mark G; 19-09-2011 at 08:13 PM.

I just take what I think is right for the race/day. If there is a notice or kit check and I'm missing something I tend to go back to the car and get it. Wear whatever you are running in and take a bumbag. Put the following in your car: fleece hat, fleece gloves, pertex top, taped waterproof top with hood, pertex trews, taped waterprof trews, tights, lifa long sleeved top,map, compass ,whistle,4 safety pins, 3 boiled new potatoes, a six pack of special brew and a quarter of Red Leb. That should cover most situations.
    Last edited by Henry Porter; 19-09-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Worms back in the can.

These new potatoes, do they have to be Jersey or will the Co-op ones do?