Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Basildon Eviction

Re: Basildon Eviction

Only Doctor Who could bring back tomorrow.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    That's one poll, which was conducted online, WP. Can you give us evidence of these other polls which "have clearly shown for many years that the public would like to see a return of the death penalty. Generally 60%+"?

While you're at it can you prove each polling company's claims that their sample of the UK population is representative of the population as a whole?

Personally I fail to see how people who don't hang up when bothered by unsolicited calls or fail to ignore internet pop up windows are representative of the UK population.

But as my last point shows the idea of a representative sample is a very subjective one.

My gut feeling is that these stats have been massaged by the polling companies to make a newsworthy press release and the beleaguered hacks at the Express, Mail or Maily Telegraph have lapped it up.
    Dan - firstly I'm not for the death penalty, but for life meaning life.

secondly, the polling companies have to be straight or they would be out of business. Yes there will be fluctuations, swings, whatever you want to call them and different polls yield different results, but trend and smoothing across differing polls suggests that of those with an opinion, the pro death penalty is around double the status quo.

My point isn't about the death penalty, more about democracy and how little power we really have.

Take the EU - no one under the age of around 56 voted for membership of the Common Market - a free trade area.

No one ever voted for the EU as it stands today - we can even see our opt out of the single currency hasn't relieved us of responsibilities and costs incurred due to the Euro.

I take Stolly's point that public opinion often has to be ignored as they get it wrong, but politicians have this way of having it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Dan - firstly I'm not for the death penalty, but for life meaning life.

secondly, the polling companies have to be straight or they would be out of business. Yes there will be fluctuations, swings, whatever you want to call them and different polls yield different results, but trend and smoothing across differing polls suggests that of those with an opinion, the pro death penalty is around double the status quo.

My point isn't about the death penalty, more about democracy and how little power we really have.

Take the EU - no one under the age of around 56 voted for membership of the Common Market - a free trade area.

No one ever voted for the EU as it stands today - we can even see our opt out of the single currency hasn't relieved us of responsibilities and costs incurred due to the Euro.

I take Stolly's point that public opinion often has to be ignored as they get it wrong, but politicians have this way of having it both ways.

You make an interesting point about democracy Witton. I can understand why you might feel powerless, but we live in a free society if you want to engage with the democratic process there's nothing stopping you.

I'm not a member of a political party myself, but I'm lucky enough to work as a reporter in Greater Manchester covering the courts and the local council amongst other things.

As for the polling companies I was trying to inject some healthy cynicism in to the debate!

I fear the EU may become a moot point soon.......

theres no group in our society more powerful than the voting consumer, shame we only ever vote for 1 of 2 and a half options

What's happened with those gypsies anyway
    pies

QUOTE=shaunaneto;435161]theres no group in our society more powerful than the voting consumer, shame we only ever vote for 1 of 2 and a half options

What's happened with those gypsies anyway[/QUOTE]

Nothing till tomorrow. You may hear the sound of distant drums this evening, though.

Or, this 5 tonne lump of scrap is due to arrive on Friday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15011725

with a bit of serendipity or help from NASA, the old scrapyard could be converted into its authorised planning zone function in a flash.
    Last edited by Brotherton Lad; 22-09-2011 at 09:28 AM.

Well, who'd a thunk it? Announcement unlikely before Monday.

Hope that transport caff has stocked up on bacon and white death.

wonder how barrel boy is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    wonder how barrel boy is doing.
    Attachment 5132

Looks like he's been pissing into that jug....

Tom and Dick are ready but the tunnellers need a few extra days to get Harry ready.