Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts of new race

Thoughts of new race

Hi All,
    I co- organise some races here in the Hope Valley, Jnr Wolfs pitt, Hope Fell race. I also help coach junior runners at a club called Hope Valley Hurricanes, you might have heard of it. I am thinking of organising a up and downer to raise funds for our club to continue to pay for coaches to go on FRA and UKA courses and to maintain equipment (We promote off road running for 8 to 16 yera olds)
    Would you interested in a "up and downer" Race- Fit as a Butchers Dog Fell race - AS- 6.6k - 330m. It would take the start of our Hope Juniors race and head directly up through field to" Crimea Farm" (lose hill farm) then follow fence line to stile and flags, around summit with a fast descent home.
    It would be low key and run around end of September/October on a Saturday morning possibly. Apart from the bit at the top it would be nice to run purely on virgin fields.

Your thoughts please - Regards Mark

Re: Thoughts of new race

I don't know the start, but the rest sounds a good route and I'd love to race or marshal it!

Nice little lungbuster. A definite YES.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

if too many stiles/gates can be avoided by having landowners' permission to open/run through field gates, then yes :thumbup:
    Saturday definitely better than Sunday
    late Sept/early Oct is pretty choc-a with good races already (inc. Hope Moors and Tors, which includes Lose Hill), so better maybe late Oct/early Nov
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    if too many stiles/gates can be avoided by having landowners' permission to open/run through field gates, then yes :thumbup:
    Saturday definitely better than Sunday
    late Sept/early Oct is pretty choc-a with good races already (inc. Hope Moors and Tors, which includes Lose Hill), so better maybe late Oct/early Nov
    You know, I was thinking the other day that it's a shame the racing tails off so much for folk on our (Sheffield) side of the Peak. Beggar all in December, although I'll be going over to Tintwistle for the Gravy Pud. One or two more based around the Hope Valley would be a good thing I reckon!
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Laffarge the company that runs the branch line have agreed we can cross, so we can start at the sports pavillion turn left as for the senior race but continue along the track over the line and direct up the landovers field. Or have the start/ finish the other side of the line and marshall runners to and from the pavillion. If you are interested then i will post grid refferences. mark

Gates will be open to fields and there is only two quick stiles near the top when runners will be stung out anyway. The reason for using the farmers field is to elliminate all the stiles and narrow paths up to(errosion) Lose hill.

Brilliant plan Mark, this sounds like the route I ran last Thursday while waiting for the Hurricanes to do their stuff. I'll join in the call for suggestions of late November / early December. Saturday would be great.

(will it be crossing the railway line over that sagging bridge that says "no more than 20 people" or something?)

I assume you're thinking of next year with this short notice, but how about a trial low key test event this year?

I'd love to help, I'll see you on Thursday for hurricanes.

Rich.

I'm sure you would get a Fat Boy contingent over from Hathersage to race, and possibly some help as well if needed.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Master

Mark

This sounds good. I echo the late Nov/December call.