Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barearse Running - some facts

Barearse Running - some facts

I’m thinking of writing an article for Fellrunner on the phenomenon of barearse running, and I thought I’d expose it to the forum first for feedback.

Going Barearse

What are the benefits of going barearse?

Strengthens the muscles in your arse.
    Realigns your natural posture.
    Feeling the wind stimulates sensory perception.
    Flexes your arse as nature designed.

Why is barearse better?

When walking barearse, we walk correctly. This means landing softly and using the power in your arse to push off. When we walk this way we tone muscles, increase sensory perception, improve posture and strengthen core. Wearing traditional shorts with inflexible support prevents this motion, weakens the arse and ultimately causes injury.

Is there any evidence that barearse is better?

Leading international scientists, biomechanics experts, and running coaches are in agreement that being barearse is the healthiest way to be. Nearly all research involving barearse studies tend to highlight that barearse is better. Our research section provides a collection of impartial studies both recent and historical that add evidence to the benefits of being barearse.

Barearse Running

I want to start running barearse - what do I need to do?

Firstly, don't think about lacing up in your heavy, padded running shorts. Instead take off your shorts and let your arse breathe. You need to start from scratch by resetting your posture and relearning your innate running technique. You'll need to gradually strengthen your core and leg muscles, and upper-leg tendons and ligaments. The backside of your arse will also slowly adapt and act as natural protection.

How do I warm up, before a run?

You need to spend at least 5 minutes resetting your posture and tuning into your body's natural elasticity and rhythm.

How far should I go, to start off with?

There is a natural temptation to run as far as you would have in your running shorts. It is important to refrain from doing this and approach the initial stages of barearse running with caution. If you do too much too soon you are likely to injure yourself. The reason is you have more than likely spent the majority of your life in conventional shorts. Your muscles, tendons and ligaments will probably be weak and unable to support your body in the early phases of barearse running training.

What are the most important things to think about when running?

Posture - Lead with your chest, keep your head up whilst looking toward the horizon. To help with posture think about keeping your ears as far from your shoulders as possible (don't stretch though). Arsework - Take light, short steps. You should be landing flat-arsed. If you jump up and down on the spot a few times you’ll find it.

Do I need to change my technique? Is posture important?

More than likely, yes. We spend our modern lives hunched over a desk and it is more than likely you will be running in this posture. Take five minutes doing the simple exercise demonstrated above to ‘reset’ your posture.

I'm worried about impact, as there's no protection. What are the dangers?

Arse striking or landing heavily will hurt and a natural shift to mid/fore-arse striking is likely to occur. Modern shorts encourage you to arse strike, which is effectively like coming to a stop with each step. When you land with the front of your arse the muscles and tendons in your arse absorb impact naturally. A good running technique will enhance this. (Daniel Lieberman study)

I'm worried about sitting on glass / needles / debris. Do I need to be worried?

This is the one aspect of barearse running where you are not in control. Our shorts that use our patented BAREARSE technology have a very thin, puncture resistant arse. They allow all the benefits of barearse running as well as protection from sharp and potentially dangerous foreign objects. Also, next time you are out running take a look around and you will see there is not so much glass or needles littering our streets.

The ground is too rough - what should / can I do?

The bottom of your arse will adapt slowly and eventually toughen up. Walking barearse will aid your adaptation. If a surface is too rough our shorts, using BAREARSE technology, will allow all the benefits of barearse running and enable you to run on any surface.

I have an injury or pain. What should I do?

Stop; listen to your body. If something hurts then it probably means you are doing or have done damage. Re-evaluate your technique and take an extra rest day and try again. If the arse pain returns; stop again and consult a doctor or physiotherapist.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Re: Barearse Running - some fa

I ran Half the Old Counties Tops Half Barearsed after ripping my shorts coming off Scafell Pike, found it very liberating but felt a bit cheeky:thumbup:
    Hills and Guinness!

Hilarious HHH!!!!:thumbup:

However, I'm clumsy enough without further distractions from watching where I'm going. I often use the 'bumslide technique' for descending too and am wondering how my nether region will stand up to that if I go 'bare arse'?
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

A brilliant set of Frequently Arsed Questions.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Are there any Barearse technology shorts as i feel doing Jura would be ill advised full Barearse as this may lead to injury and a collection of smaller scree objects entering through various orifices.
    They called me mad and i called them mad and damn them they outvoted me !!!.

It's already catching on in Rugby League:w00t:

Attachment 5134
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Lee View Post
    Are there any Barearse technology shorts as i feel doing Jura would be ill advised full Barearse as this may lead to injury and a collection of smaller scree objects entering through various orifices.
    I think there's an equipment thread for Ring Gaiters. Adidarse do one with a breathable panel.

Headtorch runs will be a thing of the past when Full Moon Running takes over.
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    Headtorch runs will be a thing of the past when Full Moon Running takes over.
    Yes, where on earth would you carry the batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    Yes, where on earth would you carry the batteries?
    In your......er............Bumbag?
    Hills and Guinness!