Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fell Running in Monmouthshire

Fell Running in Monmouthshire

Hi folks

I'm sure I can get some advice from my learned fell running friends regarding the following:

I'm in teaching and am based in London/the south-east as jobs dictate. Fell running has never been far from my mind, to say the least, but it's a long slog to head north for the races or recces. At last, I'm nearing my dream of buying a small place away from the south-east where I can spend the school holidays. However, as my wife-to-be has her family based around Bristol, it would be a step too far to buy in the Yorkshir Dales or Lakes as I had intended to do for years. Therefore, Monmouthshire looks like our spot - don't get me wrong - I adore the Welsh borders!

Could anyone advise as to whether there are enough fell races in the Black Mountains and the Brecons to keep me busy?

Any thoughts on this subject would be most welcome.

Henry
    Are we there yet?

Re: Fell Running in Monmouthsh

I expect Wheeze will give you all the info (being a Monmouthshire man), but I can assure you there are plenty. Also clubs etc. have a look on the WFRA site for races in the South of Wales.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Thanks for this. Yes, I've done some more research and it seems that there is no lack of fell running in the Black Mountains and Brecons. What a relief!

H
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I expect Wheeze will give you all the info (being a Monmouthshire man), but I can assure you there are plenty. Also clubs etc. have a look on the WFRA site for races in the South of Wales.
    You'll have to wait till he gets back from Skiing though...

Quote Originally Posted by keighley-elstub View Post
    Thanks for this. Yes, I've done some more research and it seems that there is no lack of fell running in the Black Mountains and Brecons. What a relief!H
    Hi Henry,

I dont know if you are interested or where you will be at the end of Mar but the Llanbedr to Blaenafon race is Mar 31 - a cracking race. I will be travelling over from the Watford area if you would like to share a lift from Fulham? Let me know.

Paul
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Well, young Elstub, just go to WFRA.org.uk for all info you need. £10 annual membership will get you a calendar. There are plenty of races and you can always search threads on here to give you info about the most popular. But never fear, post any requests in the Races sub section and you'll get plenty of advice. Also, don't forget to check with Mercia for the Welsh Borders races. Also, check with FODAC and Chepstow Harriers for info about trail races in the Forest of Dean area if that appeals. Races really worth travelling for are Llanbedr Blaenafon, Mynydd Troed, Cribyn, Pen Y Fan, Black Mountains and Long Mynd. But they all have their charm!
    Watch that sore legs bloke though, reet trouble maker, 'im
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Yes do the Cribyn , it's brilliant.. only 560 feet ascent per mile. I don't know what that is in metres and kilometers and i don't want to.

Thank you all for such valuable advice! From one thread, you've given me so much to go on.

Wheeze - I'll definitely join the WFRA and thanks for that selection of races and clubs. The Forest of Dean must also be an off-road runner's paradise. The Llanbedr to Blaenafon is a new one for me, but just the type of race I would love - an A to B race like Manx or Tanky's.

Paul - I might well do the Ll to B - I'm getting married on 14th April, so just need to see if my wife-to-be needs me for any last-minute logistical jobs.

Once again, thanks all. Monmouthshire here I come!

Henry
    Are we there yet?

There was a Keighley Elstub ran for Tring in the FRA relays in the Clwydian Hills in 2008. Is that you? I remember the name from the team declarations.

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    There was a Keighley Elstub ran for Tring in the FRA relays in the Clwydian Hills in 2008. Is that you? I remember the name from the team declarations.
    It would be a bit worrying if there were more than one of them running around wouldn't it? :w00t:
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club