Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Consumer law/rights anyone?

Re: Consumer law/rights anyone

Quote Originally Posted by eavesy187 View Post
    No problem with naming and shaming it's the leeds wall. I won't be going there again, and it pained me to buy the replacement shoes from them today. DT i'm aware getting angry doesn't help and at first I tried to keep my cool, I then left when I felt I was going to lose it. I returned once calmer, and apologised for my outburst. It seems like I will get a refund eventually, I just don't see why i have to go through this ridiculous process. I've since seen there returns procedure for faulty goods:

"Returning Faulty Goods

If a fault develops on a product you purchased from our store then please send it back to us. Upon receipt we will inspect it and where necessary send it to the supplier for further inspection or repair. At each stage we will endeavour to keep you informed of the progress so that we can offer you a replacement or refund as soon as possible. If we inspect the item and it is deemed not to be faulty then it is up to you to either collect the item or pay for the postage back to yourself. Once the query is resolved we will hold your item for six weeks. If we have still not heard from you then the item will be disposed of.

If an item is deemed faulty then we will post the replacement item out to you at no extra cost although we are unable to pick up the cost of sending it to us for inspection."

Seems dodgy to me.

The store managers main concerned appeared to be the shop being out of pocket, and not me the customer. Very poor imo.
    I think the key word there is developed. yours was faulty from the start. any shop that has a faulty product from new should swap as a matter of course once it has been used however unless it is an obvious fault they do have the right to send it away. i.e. a "waterproof jacket" the leaks after 2 months, it may well be faulty but how do they know. it needs to be tested. If some one brought a jacket back to one of my shops but was going away for the week walking we would lend them a jacket whist it was away for testing, we didn't need to do that but we always looked after our customers.

If you do go back and they refuse deal with it reasonably then take details, who have you spoke to when, where, what did they say, keep anote of phone calls and what they say. That way if you can't come to an agreement you take it to the small claims court and you have all the details to hand.

I would ask for a refund now, for one of the pairs, take a note of his response and tell him you will be asking his head office for clarification. call his HQ and ask for the Ops manager(my old job)

Ta for the help Ian :thumbup:
    "That was the night everything changed"

Quote Originally Posted by superflyguy View Post
    i'll defer a definitve answer to someone who knows - probably IDP, but I don't think the 'store policy' holds any real weight. All kinds of places put similar things up to basically deter punters from complaining. At the end of the day they are all governed by the consumer rights act and as such you should have been refunded.

but i could be wrong!
    Any store policy has no bareing on you statutory rights. I personably believe the store was wrong, if he said to you he could see a fault then it's a open and closed case. I'd ask for a refund today. It may be he was an inexperienced manager/staff member who was unsure and misinterperated the policy. most shops would sort this out asap. no store wants an unhappy customer....

1 unsatisfied customer= 100 satisfied customers

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    . no store wants an unhappy customer....

1 unsatisfied customer= 100 satisfied customers
    Once it's cleared up I'll post on the relevant climbing forums so hopefully others won't have to deal with such terrible customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by eavesy187 View Post
    If a fault develops on a product you purchased from our store then please send it back to us. Upon receipt we will inspect it and where necessary send it to the supplier for further inspection or repair.
    I had the same shizzle from go outdoors about a RAB waterproof. The pockets had ripped after two outings. I asked what could I wear while they had it for inspection! I kept the coat and bought my next one from Blackburns of Huddersfield, owned by an Oldham MRTeam member. Name shame and vote with youe wallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
    I had the same shizzle from go outdoors about a RAB waterproof. The pockets had ripped after two outings. I asked what could I wear while they had it for inspection! I kept the coat and bought my next one from Blackburns of Huddersfield, owned by an Oldham MRTeam member. Name shame and vote with youe wallet!
    If you pop in to Blackburns again give Steve my Best, Ex WMRT, Top rated Sarda handler for many a year with a number dogs and a real salt of the earth bloke, A spade is most definately a spade.

further developments this morning having spoken with consumer direct. the store is in fact in breach of contract as others have said. As the shoes are noticeably different they aren't as described and therefore under the sale of goods act 1979 I should have been offered a refund or exchange on the spot. They have advised I give them a reasonable amount of time to get back to me (as IDP said) which we agreed would be monday. if I haven't heard from then by them I should contact them and relay this information to them, If i'm not offered a refund at that time I should again contact consumer direct and further action will be taken. I also intend to write to the board of directors for said company to inform them of the shocking level of customer care that there team offer.