Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Blood Pressure

Low Blood Pressure

Does anyone out there know anything about low blood pressure and sports nutrition?

I would like to learn how to avoid postprandial hypotension (a dip in blood pressure after eating) particularly for long days out when refuelling is essential. I've tried internet searches but haven't found anything.

I first realised there was something going on when I found I sometimes struggled to climb the stairs (to the fifth floor) whilst on holiday. A pattern emerged; it happened when I'd eaten but was considerably worse after breakfast.

My low blood pressure is inherited and is not a concern.
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

Re: Low Blood Pressure

HI

Hae you tried eating low GI (glycemic index) based foods - these have a slower absorbtion rate, which if the dip is caused by too much blood beoing diverted to the stomach, might work, but its just a theory

Do you find yourself lightheaded when standing up after sitting for long periods as well?

Quote Originally Posted by saz View Post
    HI

Hae you tried eating low GI (glycemic index) based foods - these have a slower absorbtion rate, which if the dip is caused by too much blood beoing diverted to the stomach, might work, but its just a theory
    Saz - I think the blood being diverted to the stomach is the issue. I've just bought the Good Housekeeping 101 easy recipes Low GI by Lynda Brown and tried out one of her recipes last night. I bought this in an attempt to stop snacking on sugary food and drinks to try and establish a more normal eating habit, especially as I'm currently out of action and unable to run the sugar off.

I'm not sure low GI meals will stop the blood rush after eating though as the food still has to be digested. Does it digest more slowly therefore not putting such an immediate demand for blood to the stomach?

If I can avoid feeling wiped out after eating that'd be nice, but my main focus is hill food and food station eating on longer events - there must be a limit to how long I can perform on gels alone in an ultra? I'm going to need a low GI alternative to a gel.
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post
    Do you find yourself lightheaded when standing up after sitting for long periods as well?
    Yes this happens often and blurred vision, but that's not a problem; I've never passed out.
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

Quote Originally Posted by Stef F View Post
    Yes this happens often and blurred vision, but that's not a problem; I've never passed out.
    It may not be a problem, but it might be a minor issue that points toward tired adrenal glands. The adrenal glands help buffer blood pressure as you stand up/ go up stairs etc. I cant remember the exact hormone it produces in order to do that, I think its cortisol...

I dislike recommending supplements, so I won't, but tired adrenals may be something worth looking into if the GI direction doesnt work.

Stef, I have allied problems and I recommend frequent snacking but on healthy foods. I am moving (have already moved) in this direction, but psychologically I find it hard to stop eating before I have consumed what I have learned to expect as a "meal" at breakfast and midday. I am planning to experiment with cooking my usual size lunch and then dividing it into "eat now" and "eat later" portions. I suppose the "eat later" portion will lose some vitaminC and not be quite so delicious, but I'm fed up with deep energy slumps. I find that the later it is in the day, the worse my system copes with large amounts of food.

Do be careful around getting light-headed with blurred vision. One day this could lead on to a full-blown faint. I fainted recently and although the faint itself did me no harm, the fall gave me a dramatic black eye, bent spectacles, badly bruised face. All this because I failed to understand what was happening and tried to WALK back to bed. Next time I get symptoms like that I'm gong to get my head down low asap, even if I have to sit on a kerb or lie on wet heather or CRAWL to my bed. There wasn't much warning - one moment I was feeling off and slightly wobbly, the next i was waking up with my sore face pressed against the floor.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

I am watching this with interest, as I also suffer from low bloodpressure... Well, I don't suffer as such, but it does cause me dizzyness and blurred vision regularly, when getting up quickly etc etc

I also have the energy slump after eating. My solution to that is similar to Alexandra's, as in I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner but in between I snack on healthy food like fruit, nuts, dried fruit and the occasional oatcake, biscuit, piece of chocolate. I also find having a muller rice late afternoon helps and ties me over to dinner time. I often have another later in the evening or just before bedtime...
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Are you not getting post-prandial hypoglycaemia due to insulin release? (with the low BP being incidental to this bit) - usually helped by eating smaller but more frequent meals

Rich - I agree it could be linked but...

Stef - the low GI will mean a slower but steadier absobtion from the stomach which should help re blood flow, irrespective of the cause

I would be interested to know who low your blood pressure is?