Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Navigation for fell running ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Navigation for fell running ?

Does it differ in anyway from the hill walkers skills. Obviously the same techniques are used, but does fell running require a different way in which you use those skills because of moving at a faster pace ?Cheers

Re: Navigation for fell runnin

Quote Originally Posted by The Hat View Post
    Does it differ in anyway from the hill walkers skills. Obviously the same techniques are used, but does fell running require a different way in which you use those skills because of moving at a faster pace ?Cheers
    if you have a good grounding in hill craft and navigation then you are 90% there, Obviously route choice and pacing/timing is different. As a walker you will choose a more comfortable line where as a running will want a quicker more direct line but the basic principles are the same..

Agree with Ian, same skills but may be applied differently.

Even more so with orienteering type events, where there may be 3 or 4 different choices of route. You need to decide quickly which suits the conditions on the day and your style of running, do you go a slightly longer, safer and possibly faster way, or do you red line it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hat View Post
    There's more of a focus on route choice, more of a focus on relocation when running, you normally only look at a map when lost or unsure.. more gambling in general. When walking you have time to be precice, in a race you have 1 point of reference, can't see anything else, just go with it, and see. When walking you'd maybe spend more time getting it right. Well I tend to gamble a lot racing, opting to follow people at times,

ability to map-read whilst maintaining a descent running pace.
    Catching your mistake early and strong relocation, as mentioned above
    Knowing when to follow others in the race and when not to - a current sore point
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Apologies for slightly hijacking the thread but I've just seen the WFRA offering a one day nav course for £23. As a map reading "novice" I'm thinking about doing this - any opinions on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndon View Post
    Apologies for slightly hijacking the thread but I've just seen the WFRA offering a one day nav course for £23. As a map reading "novice" I'm thinking about doing this - any opinions on it?
    We, well Sarah mainly, runs them. They are for novices really, or limited experience. morning in the classroom, then out on the fell all afternoon going through exercises. 1 day isn't much so you'd need to commit to getting out practicing soon after to get the value of the day, if not it'd all be forgotten,,

Assuming these are the North Wales ones.. I think there's also SOuth wales..

"They are for novices really, or limited experience" sounds like me
    It is the one in Llanberis I'd spotted so I'll try and make that.

Cheers

Lyndon

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    more of a focus on relocation when running, you normally only look at a map when lost or unsure.. more gambling in general. When walking you have time to be precice, in a race you have 1 point of reference, can't see anything else, just go with it, and see. When walking you'd maybe spend more time getting it right. Well I tend to gamble a lot racing...
    In my opinion this is poor advice.
    Run and hope is not navigation
    relocation is the act of finding yourself once you have got lost, which is a failure of navigation.

If there is a need to navigate then you need to maintain contact with where you are and to know where next, the more consistently you do this the quicker you will move overall.
    you need to think ahead and plan ahead and you need to be able to do this as you run along at your race pace.
    maintaining map orientation and thumb on your position are valuable techniques that you would not typically use when walking.
    If navigating when running there is a need to maintain a constant flow of navigational awareness and information if you are to progress at optimum speed.

Quote Originally Posted by andy k View Post
    you need to think ahead and plan ahead
    I like to spend a few minutes plotting the route & making a list of bearings the night before.