Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Navigation for fell running ?

Re: Navigation for fell runnin

Hat,

I think the conclusion is:
    • That the principles of navigation are the same.
    • When walking you can forget the map for longish periods as it's going to take some time to get to the next handrail/collection point. When running it pays to hold the map with the thumb at your approximate location and keep the map oriented to the ground.
    • Navigation to a point and knowing which is the quickest way to a point (ie route choice) are not exactly the same thing. You can be very good at the first, but hopeless at the latter!

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    This means I've had very few orienteering experiences that I could describe as entirely happy and satisfactory. Fell running, though, tends to be more enjoyable.
    That's surely the same as any event though? I'm never happy. There's a race I'll never do again as I was so ashamed as to how I ran and hated it..I won.. but there was 0 pride in having done so as I knew I'd had a shocker... my time compared to the record showed that.

However normally realistic post race analysis is good...

I like doing the score events though and the MMM's. I can navigate well, as in A to B and well enough that it doesn't seem to hinder my racing, but when I do MM's it reminds me how much I can improve. I'm not fluid enough in route choice, when you run with top MM's they are quicker on their calls.

It's about 20 years since I've been right up at the front in races (and that was marathon), so I can still enjoy a steady plod on the fells. With orienteering, there's always an error to annoy me.

@Hill_Runner on twitter

Thanks, all basic common sense stuff.

For me part of navigation during races is recognition of the fact that they are a game we play for fun - therefore its part of that game to try different things that are actually a bit of a gamble. You can try different lines, direct routes, longer flatter sections instead of climbs etc and they might or might not get you a bit of time or a few places depending on the day and other peoples own choices. In 3 Shires I know a place where crossing back over to the 'wrong side' of the ridge on the descent to the 3 Shires stone usually gets me a few places - I tried it this year and it didn't because others on the usual path were running more quickly and confidently in better visibility and I actually crossed about 200 yards too early. So I made a mess of it - but like a lot of things it didn't really matter because this is all just a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    For me part of navigation during races is recognition of the fact that they are a game we play for fun - therefore its part of that game to try different things that are actually a bit of a gamble. You can try different lines, direct routes, longer flatter sections instead of climbs etc and they might or might not get you a bit of time or a few places depending on the day and other peoples own choices. In 3 Shires I know a place where crossing back over to the 'wrong side' of the ridge on the descent to the 3 Shires stone usually gets me a few places - I tried it this year and it didn't because others on the usual path were running more quickly and confidently in better visibility and I actually crossed about 200 yards too early. So I made a mess of it - but like a lot of things it didn't really matter because this is all just a game.
    :thumbup:True. Its not just fun, it can be funny. If you ever see me trying to read a map, you will probably pish yourself laughing.