Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fell Runners/Racers?

Fell Runners/Racers?

The thread about race entry fees got me thinking, are there many out there who like me do little or no racing?

I used to think nothing of travelling long distances to do races and used average over 50 a year, i even managed 30 fell races in Foot & Mouth year. My personal best was a 310 mile round trip to Beddgelert to do Moel Hebog.

My one race this year was the Pennine Bridleway relay and i think my next one will be the same race in 2012. Now i just do the midweek club runs and solo runs when and wherever i want.

Re: Fell Runners/Racers?

I must admit to enjoying a recce / training run on my own - it's amazing how peaceful and relaxing it can be.

But I then enjoy the social side of going racing - I don't think I could just be a runner without some racing.

I enjoy the racing bit but am near the back of the field so whether you really count it as such is up to you. But I also enjoy road races and the odd adventure race too. I sometimes find training a chore if I dont have a set goal in mind. Currently pondering the lakeland 50, definite pros and cons to this.

I prefer to plod around on me own. My off road running was a progression from road running for fitness for mountain/climbing stuff. Found that I enjoyed it and do more of it than the other now. I enter the odd race just as a personal test. Try not to come last but didnt succeed last weekend. Doubt whether I will ever do well in a race but it's not why I do it really.

I almost never race, every now and then get roped into a team event. One race this year was plenty enough.

Some folk love racing but I never liked it, i's not anything to do with the pace required. For me fell running is about wild days out in the hills and that doesnt really happen when there are 200 people on the same route starting at the same time.

Nowt wrong with folk liking racing, I'm just not bothered about it!
    pies

I almost never run in the hills on my own these days. Race is all I do. It make me try harder. (I should add they're not all fell races though.)

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

I still count myself as a fell runner and do as much as I can but do very few fell races these days - perhaps only 1 or 2 a year. I try and have one long hilly fell run at least once a month but have to content myself usually with small local hills and trails (though you can still easily clock up 2000' in a hour). Still do quite a few xc and trail races though.
    I suppose age, kids (dad's taxi service!) and (as I now live in the midlands) having to travel a long way to most races has taken its toll.

I try to do one race a month. I like the way it makes me go to different places- Simonside Kairns in Northumberland for example; a great outing. I like the way it pushes me and allows me to compare myself with myself and entering something like Langdale makes me go out in the rain when I'm feeling lazy. I'm doing well if I finish in the middle of the field. (mind you most races finish in the middle of the field when you think about it)

I love to race. Having been injured for quite a while now, not racing is twisting my noodle. I miss the buzz and the banter.

Still, slowly starting to build my mileage up again...not long now!
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

I came across fell running a year and a half ago by stumbling upon a fell race, Batch Bash at All Stretton - I seem to prefer the smaller events where the social aspect is just as important as the result itself (well it is for me) along with that all important pint in the pub afterwards.

I class myself as a middle of the pack runner aspiring to become a front of the middle of the pack. Earlier in the year I got too result / performance orientated and found the enjoyment factor just dropped off for me so now my aim is to run with a smile / grimace on my face.

I do the races local to me, Shropshire Summer and Winter series then occasionally venture in Wales to try something new.