Thread: A decent 10 miler Bolton way ?

A decent 10 miler Bolton way ?

After a decent 10 miler fir tomorrow up on moors near or not far from Winter Hill. Anybody tried a decent route ?

Re: A decent 10 miler Bolton w

Depends what your definition of that is but here's a link to one I did a few months back - 11 miles, but if you really care about the extra mile you can probably see a way to cut 1 1/4 mile off.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/110618496

I parked at the Wilton Arms, took the foothpath out of the back of the lower (first) car park, crossed the Horwich rd and straight up onto the moor around the edge of the quarry. After that I'll leave you to work it out on the map (best viewed in Google earth - click the Export button on the Garmin page and you'll find the View in Google earth option), but essentially I went up almost to the mast by the path south and east of the little tarn, down over Wider's moor (sort of) over Rivington Pike, round the track and up the NW side of Winter hill to the mast again, then back down to Horrocks Fold following the (fairly) obvious path SE.

Have fun, should be nice and muddy after today's rain!

Cheers fella. Looks like a route I did a few years back so will give it a bash. Spitlers edge will be very muddy indeed.

shorter version of Anglezarke Amble from Rivington village? not sure exaclty how long as I do the full course - short might be more like 15. Up through Japaese Gardens, over R PIke, up to Winter Hill. Down to main road S of Belmont near pub out of village on main road to S. Slightly S down main road , cross, foot path across fields and up to next road E. Short distance on this towards Belmont then across fields again. Turn at Numbeed metal sign Turn N on big track towards Tockholes,through woods to Slipper Low, andthen Wto main road, cross main road and up over Great Hill, down to white coppice and back aong footpaths to Rivington

Quote Originally Posted by The Hat View Post
    Cheers fella. Looks like a route I did a few years back so will give it a bash. Spitlers edge will be very muddy indeed.
    This one doesn't actually go up Splitter's Edge, it's entirely S of Rivington Rd. But Splitter's Edge is a good one too. I then usually start at Belmont, up the W. slope of Winter Hill, Down the N side, up Spiltter's Edge to Gt. Hill, W to and across Belmont Rd, back S along Longworth Moor. All sorts of variations onto Darwen and or Turton moors but then you'd be looking more at 13-14 miles. This one version:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/76398304

I'll be doing a 10 mile easy paced run from the top barn at 8am if i can drag myself out of bed tomorrow....you are most welcome to tag along... The route is similar to the Winter Hill race but not as contrived.Look out for a dark red Volvo estate and a very scrawny bloke

Quote Originally Posted by The Master View Post
    I'll be doing a 10 mile easy paced run from the top barn at 8am if i can drag myself out of bed tomorrow....you are most welcome to tag along... The route is similar to the Winter Hill race but not as contrived.Look out for a dark red Volvo estate and a very scrawny bloke
    Cheers fella, but I've only just read your reply. Would have been good aswell. I didn't get out till 2 and got up to Winter Hill. Weather was atrocious though !

We are one runner short of a team for an event called Training with Attitude tomorrow around Great Hill/Spittlers/Winter Hill so if you fancy it (leg 3 but could probably switch around) contact me on 07787 948671.
    Details of event on Horwich website.