Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Piriformis syndrome

Piriformis syndrome

Anyone suffered with this ? Have been struggling with this for a couple of weeks - mind you did receive a ticking of from my physio last night for not doing as advised ie only taking 1 Ibuprofen daily & consequently struggling with the stretching exercises he gave me.

It is improving but was just wondering how many weeks it will take to clear.

Before anyone says - yes it is a pain in the backside :thunbdown:

Re: Piriformis syndrome

New to me - what caused it?

Quote Originally Posted by Manhar View Post
    Anyone suffered with this ? Have been struggling with this for a couple of weeks - mind you did receive a ticking of from my physio last night for not doing as advised ie only taking 1 Ibuprofen daily & consequently struggling with the stretching exercises he gave me.

It is improving but was just wondering how many weeks it will take to clear.

Before anyone says - yes it is a pain in the backside :thunbdown:

I've been suffering from pirifiormis, on and off for about 5 years now. It seems that once you've got it, you can never get rid of it completely, but you can keep it under control if you keep doing all the stretching exercises. There's also an exercise you can do with a tennis ball which helps to release the tightness in the muscle, but even that doesn't always work.
    I've just sent off for some supposed "miracle cure" from America called a Sacro Wedgy!!? which I'm a bit dubious about, but I'll let you know if it works

Master

Helpful discussion :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piriformis_syndrome

Stretching all the muscles around the hip, avoiding sitting for long periods, and avoiding direct firm pressure on the buttock (e.g. wallet or keys in back pocket) may help.

Banned

I had it about 5 years ago Manhar.
    Stretching and massage were the cures along with fell running.
    Mine was caused by a repetitive stride pattern (training for 10k's on flat canal banks)

There are a number of good stretches but you need to try them and find 2 that work for you.
    Also
    I still have the tennis ball in the car as direct pressure on the trigger point (point of most pain) for 20 to 30 minutes works as a great massage. The physio used to use her elbow, hurt like hell but worked.

All the best and you will be cured soon, just a little patience needed.

Had it for 3 years now brought on by over racing. Elbows and tennis balls for me, too, but it refuses to go away.

Was suffering with "backache" before Heptonstall Trig after spending a lazy Saturday sat on comfy seating at the Cinema, followed by watching the football at home. Was able to run on it but not take large strides in the following days.

Must admit did something slightly idiotic in the following week which I'm embarrassed to mention but here goes - on the same principle that people lie on a hard board to cure backache thought to myself as I work sat down all day in an office - need to sit on a hard surface rather than a comfy chair- so I took a chopping board into work & sat on that for a week. Was told by my physio that it was the last thing I should have done as it pushes up the spine.

Anyway think I'm on the mend & will go out for an easy run on Saturday. Will remember to do exactly as the Physio instructs in future

I had this last year and really struggled to sit down. However I had remedial massage and used a tens machine. Got over it in about 6 weeks. It was caused by an undramatic fall on steep ground onto my hip. No problems now, just a knackered knee.

how do they distinguish piriformis from standard sciatic trouble? Symptoms are pretty similar aren't they?

Symptoms are very similar, I assumed that I had "normal sciatica". I was told that sciatica was a symptom not the root cause.

They did some tests on me concentrating on lower back but can't remember the details. Someone more informed than me will know exactly.