Page 45 of 56 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Roaches

Mud glorious mudddddddd

Quote Originally Posted by okmum33 View Post
    went for a reccie on Sunday, was a great route, lots of smelly deep mud.. will someone be going round a clearing away the cow s#$t for the race? looking forward to it
    Ooh you definitely are a newbie!! There is a post race ritual of standing in the nearby stream talking to other runners whilst turning the water 'slurry green' as everyone washes their legs. I'm sure the offending farmer deliberately used to pump slurry into the yard in a vain attempt to get the course changed away from his land. Now he's realised the runners just think it adds to the fun / atmosphere of the start & finish he's stopped bothering and the slurry is a 'pleasant' ankle deep as opposed to knee deep it used to be several years ago. I do love the Staffs races, but have to say it must be one of the cow sh**iest counties in the UK!
    Its better to have fought and lost, than not have fought at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth of The Dark Side View Post
    Ooh you definitely are a newbie!! There is a post race ritual of standing in the nearby stream talking to other runners whilst turning the water 'slurry green' as everyone washes their legs. I'm sure the offending farmer deliberately used to pump slurry into the yard in a vain attempt to get the course changed away from his land. Now he's realised the runners just think it adds to the fun / atmosphere of the start & finish he's stopped bothering and the slurry is a 'pleasant' ankle deep as opposed to knee deep it used to be several years ago. I do love the Staffs races, but have to say it must be one of the cow sh**iest counties in the UK!
    He did stand there watching us, think he was laughing at me as I went ankle deep..he was very friendly, quite chatty..will try not to be such a wuss on the day

Hi - to save me trawling through a multitude of posts acan anyone confirm the distance of this? The FRA site says 18 miles, the Mow Cop site 15?

Thanks.

The route has changed, work on 18,

http://fellrunner.org.uk/races.php?id=1852

Quote Originally Posted by Richard123 View Post
    Hi - to save me trawling through a multitude of posts acan anyone confirm the distance of this? The FRA site says 18 miles, the Mow Cop site 15?

Thanks.
    It was 18 miles last year due to a diversion required by English Heritage (?) due to a viral /fungal infection on the bilberries in Gradbach Woods. this has now been lifted (I am told) and the route has gone back to the original at 15 miles... Now straight up / down from the River Dane.

Still a tough one, but fun.

See you Sunday
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

OK, thanks chaps!

You'll find a map here if you follow the macc harriers link below. Scroll down and the Roaches gets a mention on the second page, with a link to a printable map.

Went for a run along there on Monday.... Absolutely beautiful terrain and views as well as a PB.

However, weather not so good now, so expect wet and sloppy
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Really looking forward to this race,never been on The Roaches but the scenery looks fantastic! Added bonus of wet and sloppy,you cant beat that!