Page 53 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Roaches

Very tough race today... the conditions underfoot were horrible, in particular the fields in the first/last mile or so... and the section between Roach End and the river crossing...

Had a couple of bad falls, in particular coming back over the roaches, which didn't really slow me down, but certainly leaving me a bit sore tonight... a big thanks to the guy who stopped to see I was ok, I told him to carry on, and then rudely came back to overtake him in the final fields...!

2hrs 58mins... no issues with the distance, even the climbs are fairly modest (although the climb up to Shutslinghoe is a stiff pull)... but it's the terrain that made this such a challenge for me...

Thanks to all involved...

Pete

The land of no hills! (Altrincham, Cheshire)
    A vintage year for the slurry I would say ��. Thanks, as always, to those involved in the organisation, and to the marshals out on the course..

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Very tough race today... the conditions underfoot were horrible, in particular the fields in the first/last mile or so... and the section between Roach End and the river crossing...

Had a couple of bad falls, in particular coming back over the roaches, which didn't really slow me down, but certainly leaving me a bit sore tonight... a big thanks to the guy who stopped to see I was ok, I told him to carry on, and then rudely came back to overtake him in the final fields...!

2hrs 58mins... no issues with the distance, even the climbs are fairly modest (although the climb up to Shutslinghoe is a stiff pull)... but it's the terrain that made this such a challenge for me...

Thanks to all involved...

Pete
    It was a bit of a mud bath in places, not disimilar to classic XC conditions through the fields. Had a cracking 10 miles but lost it for a couple of miles, particularly after the river crossing, due to rubbish endurance. Held on to come home in 2:36 which I'm pleased with. Took a tumble on the smallest rock possible on top of Roaches skyline, picked up by a kindly passing runner from Alehouse - thanks! Fortunately, clag obscured my less than fine moment from anyone else.

Thanks to marshals, RO & all others involved.

Yes, fantastic race. Up there as one of my favourite routes I think after today. Bit of everything! Conditions do slow you down some for sure. Easy to push on in the first half and get caught out coming back. Just about held some sort of dignity together through the final fields. 2.34ish, bang on 20th. Cheers to all the marshals!

Results are out http://mowcoprunner.com/Pages/RoachesRaceResults.aspx

Appreciated the route change out/in to Meerbrook, avoided even more of the mudfest that I endured in 2014. Got round a bit quicker than last year, so happy with that. Ran with my wife, she loved the route…..but still cursing about the cow poo (I did warn her, but not sure she quite understood the situation).

Also the bog monster caught a few people on the way from/to Helmesley Rocks……. It’s a bit cheeky that one.

Number of runners seemed quite a bit down on last year, not sure if the grim weather forecast put a few people off. As it was, the weather was remarkably well behaved. Hope support isn’t dwindling for this event, as it’s a real cracker.

Thanks to all involved in the organisation and marshalling – especially those on the top of Shutlingsloe……. A bit lively up there.
    Totley AC

Anyone on this on Sunday?

I'm approaching it with a sense of dread. Not so much the weather, but the sheer amount of tough running involved. If there's one thing I dont like about fell running, its definitely the running part..!

Hoping to get inside my time of last year, but not feeling too confident. My hardiness and ability on steep stuff has improved drastically, but my actual running ability I'm not so sure about...

Anyone on this on Sunday?

I'm approaching it with a sense of dread. Not so much the weather, but the sheer amount of tough running involved. If there's one thing I dont like about fell running, its definitely the running part..!

Hoping to get inside my time of last year, but not feeling too confident. My hardiness and ability on steep stuff has improved drastically, but my actual running ability I'm not so sure about...
    would love to but it's the club champs and dinner the day before.

I've only done it once, it's hard but really enjoyable. I found the toughest section was on the return from the river crossing at Gradbach up through the woods. The farmyard full of slurry at the start and finish are "character building"!

. If there's one thing I dont like about fell running, its definitely the running part..!
    Hey up Travs!
    I know what you mean. I am sure, they will let us have a break from running and have to walk up Shuttingsloe,or in my case Shutting-slow.
    Maybe see you there
    All the best
    Steve(sbrt)

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    would love to but it's the club champs and dinner the day before.
    Would love to but I can only manage about 45 mins of running at the mo.
    Might get out to watch it if I can be bothered to get out of bed early enough
    Do what you like, like what you do