Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 LastLast

Thread: Roaches

Quote Originally Posted by sbrt View Post
    Hey up Travs!
    I know what you mean. I am sure, they will let us have a break from running and have to walk up Shuttingsloe,or in my case Shutting-slow.
    Maybe see you there
    All the best
    Steve(sbrt)
    If you see a guy in Dark Peak vest and bandana say hello......

Pete

Sorry I missed you.
    Cracking day out today.
    didn't know you are a Dark Peaker. I am too

Great race today, tough going as ever, really well organised and marshalled

Hi Steve, it was possibly me who was in close contest with you for the second half of the race...? Myself, Keith Holmes and a.n.other from Dark Peak finished within a couple of minutes I believe (2hrs55 to about 2hrs58)? Yes I'm a Dark Peaker but based in Coventry...

Better conditions on the day than last year, but still the usual horrible underfoot conditions. I've been suffering with a niggling bad hamstring since Borrowdale in August, and today it took its toll. Was going reasonably well and tried a mad dash across the river and up the bank, taking about 7 or 8 places in one foul swoop. Unfortunately straightening up into the fields i realised I'd pushed it too hard, and it was a massive struggle from then on. Held it together for a while, but the up and down at Shutslinghoe destroyed my leg, and hobbled most of the way back.

Managed to equal my time from last year, almost to the second, which I was very pleased about, considering the circumstances. Seemed to manage the bad patches a lot better, and moved a lot more swiftly over the rough ground. Going down through the forest I passed a lad who was really struggling with the terrain, almost a mirror image of myself last year, and although I'm by no means a mountain-goat, I can see the improvement coming slowly...

So overall very pleased, but was a shame that a run that had so much promise, ended up in a stack of lost places and potentially 10-15 minutes in time. Guess I've got no excuses next year, I'll have to go out and make a massive improvement...!

I think that's my racing over for this year, need to get free of any niggles ready for some big stuff next year.

Good to see a turnout of 200+ which was an improvement on last year.

Pete

Really struggled today and had to make a 2 mile walk of shame, losing around 70 places, after bonking on the way back down from the top of the Roaches. That cow poo paddling pool is even worse when you're walking.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Yes I'm a Dark Peaker but based in Coventry...
    Travs, you may not be aware that the originators of the Roaches Race were from Coventry: Hugh Shercliff and Graham (whose surname I have forgotten). They were students at Cambridge at the time, but had been introduced to the Roaches area by a outdoors-enthusiast teacher at King Henry VIII School.

Hi Pete
    I think you were well ahead of me by the 2nd 1/2.
    I had a proper good day out. The varied terrain and scenery was stunning, even the slurry/bog. My favourite bit was, rock hopping along the Roaches, the rocky bit on Shutlingsloe and the pumpkin soup
    I hope your niggles clear up quickly.

Thank you Mow Cop Runners and all who made it happen. You did a fantastic job.

Hi Steve.... Yes I scanned through the results and worked out it wasn't you...

Yes it's a great run over the Roaches. Shutlingsloe didn't seem so big this year, admittedly conditions last year up there were shocking. Really is a challenging race despite the lack of huge climbs.

Glad you all enjoyed it!!!
    The 6.5 mile Mow Cop Hill Race is 23 rd April 2017, hope to see you there for more quality cakes

Bright and breezy on the Roaches today, jogged from Roaches Gate to Hangingstone and back.
    sort-of looking forward to Sunday, which looks like it could be bright and clear but very cold with a northerly wind, so at least behind us on our way back.
    More rain tonight, and chance of sleet showers overnight Sat/Sun. It's already wet and muddy
    Best Wishes

David
    Cheshire Hash House Harriers http://www.cheshirehash.co.uk/cheshire/