Thread: New to this forum........

New to this forum........

Hi I have done all sorts over the years running wise. Looking to see if anyone runs around this area where I live? Did the Great Longstone Fell Run this year and enjoyed it very much. Physio has told me to get off the roads due to a back problem so came over to this interesting forum to see what goes on in a bit more detail out on the fells. Race suggestions for my calendar would be appreciated. Last few years its been road half marathons and a full one along with some small fell races.
    Looking at doing the Grindleford Gallop next March if thats happening.
    I have the greatest commute in the world I reckon as I cycle or run down the Monsal Trail to my office in Bakewell everyday............anyone care to contradict me on that one.
    MCS
    :thumbup:

Re: New to this forum........

Welcome to the forum!

I think you'll find one or two people on here that might run around in the same area.

Take a look at the 'Races' tab on the main page of the fellrunner website for an online calendar of what is coming up. Even better, join the FRA for £12 a year and get a nice printed shiny race calendar through your letterbox.

Also, have a think about joining a fell club or a club with a fell section. Best way to get into it. DARK PEAK FR?

Grindleford Gallop is a great race but not one that gets a big following on here as it is not registered under the FRA. I've done it for the last couple of years and would highly recommend it though. It's a good course (including a part of your commute on the Monsal Trail!) but the tourist dodging flat drag on the concrete through the grounds of Chatsworth to Baslow is a bit of a spoiler. Still, can't be helped!
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Hi madmark. There are plenty of local events. The ones I am most aware of are the LDWA-type events: 20 miles plus with both runners and walkers. The LDWA website is the info source for most of these. The Grindleford Gallop started life as one of these but has morphed into an event with a lot of runners: most of them are lower key & less competitive, but of course great running. Check out the Baslow Bootbash, the Three Shires. And join a club if you want to meet people: I can't advise you on that as I'm over the other side of Cheshire, but I'm sure others will.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Hi Mark, You're probably aware that most of the villages in the White Peak have a fell race during the summer (Sheldon, Peak Forest, Gt. Hucklow, Eyam to name but a few). Joining a club is definitely a good move. I could probably recommend Pennine Fellrunners - they always seem to be a nice bunch! If you fancy a run just turn up at the Royal Hotel car park in Hayfield (30 mins from you?) at 7pm on any Thursday evening. Bring a head torch as runs are always off-road, and there's always a good variety of runners (fast, slow, medium).

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Hi Mark, You're probably aware that most of the villages in the White Peak have a fell race during the summer (Sheldon, Peak Forest, Gt. Hucklow, Eyam to name but a few). Joining a club is definitely a good move. I could probably recommend Pennine Fellrunners - they always seem to be a nice bunch! If you fancy a run just turn up at the Royal Hotel car park in Hayfield (30 mins from you?) at 7pm on any Thursday evening. Bring a head torch as runs are always off-road, and there's always a good variety of runners (fast, slow, medium).
    Don't forget a couple of quid for a pint in the Royal afterwards too! You'll get a taste of what we get up to in Pennine here: http://penninefellrunners.co.uk/wordpress/

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    Don't forget a couple of quid for a pint in the Royal afterwards too! You'll get a taste of what we get up to in Pennine here: http://penninefellrunners.co.uk/wordpress/
    Yeah the pennine lot are ok as long as you forgive them for being on the other side, got plenty of mates over there, theres also Dark Peak and Totley, even the fat boys from Hathersage.

pennine series is good, as is the goyt valley stuff, Roaches coming up soon, top race.

Yes I commute over Bleaklow.

(Well a small chunk of it anyway)
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Cheers thanks for the welcome. Thursday's no good for me re the Hayfield meetup but Hathersage nearer to me.......will check out the calendar to see whats happening to......Thanks for your pointers.
    MCS
    :thumbup: