Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: National 3 peaks forum outing?

National 3 peaks forum outing?

Has anybody ever thought of sorting out a forum outing to do the national 3 peaks? It's obviously quite expensive when done with a professional firm, but if anybody could find a willing driver we could do it in a hired minibus and all chip in towards the cost etc. Not as a race but as a sort of training run a bit like an LDWA event where we could all run together if you know what I mean.

I'm not necessarily committing to organising said event, but just seeing if it has been done before and whether anyone would be interested.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Re: National 3 peaks forum out

i organised a work expedition to do this in June this year. Actually bumped into Ian Dark Peak in the kitchen at the Chase the Wild Goose Hostel at 7am in the morning!

to transport a team of 11 people in two minibuses including van hire, petrol, hostel and food worked out around £100 per head.

cost was impacted by us having to hire 2 minibuses (and pay for 2 lots of petrol) due to regulations on who can drive a 15 seater minibus (our drivers couldn't)

worth the effort imo

I'm sure there was a thread about this a few years ago but transport between peaks was by cycle - plenty of time to loosen up between peaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    Has anybody ever thought of sorting out a forum outing to do the national 3 peaks? It's obviously quite expensive when done with a professional firm, but if anybody could find a willing driver we could do it in a hired minibus and all chip in towards the cost etc. Not as a race but as a sort of training run a bit like an LDWA event where we could all run together if you know what I mean.

I'm not necessarily committing to organising said event, but just seeing if it has been done before and whether anyone would be interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by barnyc View Post
    i organised a work expedition to do this in June this year. Actually bumped into Ian Dark Peak in the kitchen at the Chase the Wild Goose Hostel at 7am in the morning!

to transport a team of 11 people in two minibuses including van hire, petrol, hostel and food worked out around £100 per head.

cost was impacted by us having to hire 2 minibuses (and pay for 2 lots of petrol) due to regulations on who can drive a 15 seater minibus (our drivers couldn't)

worth the effort imo
    Hi Barny I seem to remember there were midges in the car park out side the hostel

I honestly can't understand why people really want to do this. For charity I guess it has marketing appeal but it's not very green and to be honest not paticularly interesting following a line of people.

I've been trying to persuade one of the companies who i work with to put on something special and much more fulfilling(but lacks some of the marketing appeal).

I'd love to take groups round the Scotish 4000ft+ peaks in a weekend. Any takers for this....?

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post

I'd love to take groups round the Scotish 4000ft+ peaks in a weekend. Any takers for this....?
    I'll have a go

Hi Barny I seem to remember there were midges in the car park out side the hostel

I honestly can't understand why people really want to do this. For charity I guess it has marketing appeal but it's not very green and to be honest not paticularly interesting following a line of people.

I've been trying to persuade one of the companies who i work with to put on something special and much more fulfilling(but lacks some of the marketing appeal).

Much more like it.
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

the marketing appeal was what did it for us, we did it as a fundraiser for one of our charity clients, now struggling to think of something to do for next year.

the Yorkshire 3 peaks would be great to do but this looks like a poors mans N3P in comparison.

any ideas for a suitable event we could do that's suitable for an average healthy person?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    Has anybody ever thought of sorting out a forum outing to do the national 3 peaks? .
    Bad idea IMO.
    N3P provides no real challenge for a fellrunner.
    Just adds to the existing congestion, erosion and overcrowding.
    .... But a forum outing over Yianni's Corbett round .....

This would definitely be on my radar. (If it's within my capability - some research needed on my part!)

The national 3 peaks isn't for me.
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    I'm sure there was a thread about this a few years ago but transport between peaks was by cycle - plenty of time to loosen up between peaks.
    I probably posted something about racing the Three Peaks Yacht Race on a bike at some point. I did that a couple of times, & even got a trophy for it!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club