Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMM Food Part 2

OMM Food Part 2

Now, this is the important bit. Pre-heat your oven to between 80-90C with the fan blowing. You don't want to cook the curry, but just dry it out. Put the curry in the oven but leave the oven door slightly open.

It will probably take about 6 hours to dehydrate. Every hour or so, take it out of the oven and stir the curry around. Enjoy the aroma as it is dehydrating

When it's completely dried, take it out and weight it again..

Make a note of the weight. The difference between the weights is amount of water in ml that you have extracted, and have to add back in to get the original consistency. In this case it is 1252 ml or 1.252 litres of water.

Get some Pour & Store bags..

Split it into 2 portions and bag it up.

When you come to prepare your meal, boil extra water when you make your first cup of tea and add this to the bags and re-seal. This will start the rehydration process while you are having a cuppa and your first courses. Add the contents to a pan and add water until you get the required consistency, and make everyone else jealous of the smells drifting from your tent.

There you have it. Curry for 2 to warm you up on the OMM.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Dog Breath; 22-10-2011 at 07:20 PM.

Re: OMM Food Part 2

Not a bad idea re dehydrating your own food, but I personally wouldn't favour curry during the OMM. Good luck with that
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Excuse me whilst I sob gently in the background!
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    Not a bad idea re dehydrating your own food, but I personally wouldn't favour curry during the OMM. Good luck with that
    unless you have an epic route-choice planned out and you want to put people off following you.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Or just buy Mountain House freeze dried food and cut out all the hassle > here
    Last edited by Datt; 23-10-2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Spelling - not my strong point
    I've learnt so much from my mistakes, I'm actually thinking about making a few more.

Ahh, but is it as nice as noodles!? Well, yes, I guess it's much, much nicer. But, it's pretty heavy... 500g+ seems a lot. Is that for one person or two, and do you know roughly how many calories you get?

not sure I fancy curry but also it leaves you nothing to do for all those hours- we enjoy concocting our evening meak, and it weighs much less than 500g

The curry course is just one of the many that we have; soup. Couscous. Pasta. Cake & custard. So we are cooking for several hours. The 500 gms is between 2 people,so it's not so heavy. As for calories., as most of the population are overweight on takeaways I would guess there are a fair few calories in there. Fuels us up nicely for the 2nd day.

I'm the lucky boy that is DB's OMM partner. Rob, this will be our fifth OMM with his genius curry option, and it works a treat - we don't need good luck, just good bog roll . We always have a stonking day two and make up 20 or 30 places, and much of that is to do with the sumptuous food DB creates, including the take-away curry hydration spectacular. Eating like kings is good for mind and body, and we subscribe heartily to that theory

I remember at Durisdeer enjoying the incredulity of our tent neighbours at the overnight camp when they smelt the familiar whiff of takeaway curry. Am salivating already

Quote Originally Posted by Datt View Post
    Or just buy Mountain House freeze dried food and cut out all the hassle > here
    And it will taste like, well it taste appalling against the Jalfrezi. Top lads and great choice of curry as well!