Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello, turns out I really like

Hello, turns out I really like

...running!I'm a total beginner to this, being the last thing I expected to enjoy, having always been of a large frame!Being close to the Peak, I've spent years walking, climbing and caving (in a big way) but judiciously avoided anything resembling a run, until I realised that my activity has gradually diminished during parenthood and persuaded a good mate to take me out for an easy jog.Loved it immediately, although I'm not beating any distance or endurance records yet, and I struggle on anything resembling uphill. Lots to learn, a long way to go, but hope to get out on a proper hill one day.

Re: Hello, turns out I really

Glad to hear UG. If you fancy meeting up for a trot, drop me a line.

Welcome! It's a great community that I'm only just scratching the surface of myself.
    You don't have to run up the hills, one good thing about the Dark Peak is that it consists of all these plateaus, so you go up one hill and then the gradients are much nicer until you descend again at the end, for instance - have a plod up to Back Tor from Fairholmes and run along Derwent Edge.
    The dale bottoms of the White Peak would be a similar, but inverted, aspect.

A (large ) fell running friend of mine always says that being a runner is about having the right kind of head, not the right kind of body.
    true words

Thanks chaps now I'm older, and a bit wiser, I don't feel like there's anything to prove, so I'm just going to go for it and see what happens! Any races next year, see you at the back....

Hi all, I'm also new.Done a lot of walking which I'll be keeping up.I have the running bug now as well

Hello and welcome to the forums! It sounds like you used to be a quite an active person so before you know it you will have your fitness back and you will be fitter then ever. The Peak district is an awesome place to run and if you know it well then I bet you already have some awesome routes planned out that you can run over the next few weeks

Best of luck!

2012 Goals:
    Sub 39min 10k
    Sub 1:25 Half Marathon
    Blog - Beginner Half Marathon Training

Where abouts in Sheff are you based UG?

As a newbie myself I couldnt agree more. So much better than road running and the bike is getting used less and less.

Did two fell races this year and so much more enjoyable than any of the triathlons I've done this season too.....and way blinking cheaper!

Sorry Ian, missed your post before. I'm just up in Dronfield, so technically outside Sheff but near enough for me!