Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Yorkshire Brownlees

The Yorkshire Brownlees

Are the Brownlee brothers beginning to grate with their, we,re from Gods own country routine. Before you all start, I,m a big fan of the talented brothers and a lover of Yorkshire, especially the Dales.But I,ve just watched an interview on You Tube via 247TRI and the first 4 minutes of the 13 min interview was a send up of the monty python yorkshiremen sketch. I realise they are just a couple of young lads having a bit of a giggle, but they came across as being a little bit silly. Couple this with every time Alistair wins an ITU World champ race he grabs a Yorkshire flag as he runs down the finishing straight and they are risking alienating themselves to the rest of us Brits.In said ITU races they are representing Britain, when they stand on the podium to receive their medals they play the British national anthem (not on ilkley moor bah tat).It is the British public who through their taxes and lottery funding have enabled their talent to prosper,so a little acknowledgement of being British wouldn,t go amiss. Like I said they are still quite young lads but I think someone from their coaching staff needs to advise them to tone it down a little.

Re: The Yorkshire Brownlees

As someone has pointed out elsewhere on the forum, Ran Fiennes said he would never take a Yorkshireman with him on an expedition. Enough said.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Sheepworrier, you worry too much.

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/view...82667&start=15
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepworrier View Post
    Are the Brownlee brothers beginning to grate with their, we,re from Gods own country routine. Before you all start, I,m a big fan of the talented brothers and a lover of Yorkshire, especially the Dales.But I,ve just watched an interview on You Tube via 247TRI and the first 4 minutes of the 13 min interview was a send up of the monty python yorkshiremen sketch. I realise they are just a couple of young lads having a bit of a giggle, but they came across as being a little bit silly. Couple this with every time Alistair wins an ITU World champ race he grabs a Yorkshire flag as he runs down the finishing straight and they are risking alienating themselves to the rest of us Brits.In said ITU races they are representing Britain, when they stand on the podium to receive their medals they play the British national anthem (not on ilkley moor bah tat).It is the British public who through their taxes and lottery funding have enabled their talent to prosper,so a little acknowledgement of being British wouldn,t go amiss. Like I said they are still quite young lads but I think someone from their coaching staff needs to advise them to tone it down a little.
    Are you for real? Someone please tell me this is a wind up
    "That was the night everything changed"

(notsomuchofa)fellrunner, you have a point I do tend to worry too much.
    eavesy187, no its not a wind up, I think I have a point!

Are the Brownlee brothers beginning to grate with their, we,re from Gods own country routine...advise them to tone it down a little.
    Sheepy...as far as I'm concerned the Brownlee Bros can 'ump a Swaledale ewe on that podium as long as one o'them wins the Olympic title. I think it's fantastic that the lads think of their roots, even when they're at the top of their game. Hopefully we'll see 'em competin' on the moors at the Woodentops ALS.

The lads can be seen 'ere at the ALS'09... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9yoZpEtZZQ
    Last edited by wharfeego; 06-11-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Just wanted to add to my support for the the Brownlee lads.

They're human, don't take themselves too seriously (unless they have to, ie race day) and are proud of their roots. Fair play to them and long may they continue, if they take a yorkshire flag down the finishing line, so what!!!

Long may they continue to do what they are doing and be who they are...

And i,ll be cheering along with you wharfee

eavesy187, no its not a wind up, I think I have a point!
    No point. They are young lads at the top of there game and proud of being from Yorkshire. You want to be thankful that they have something to celebrate rather than whining about how they choose to do it. :thunbdown:

Sounds like triathlon's taking it's self too seriously again!
    "That was the night everything changed"

Smacks of jealousy to me ! I have once seen Alistair grab a Yorkshire flag from a supporter (every time ??) as a "spur of the moment thing" as he put it. I'm gobsmacked when we have two amazing British athletes that someone would actually post such drivel on the FRA forums. I think you need to let them enjoy themselves, say what they want & celebrate how they want. My mate knows them & I can put in a good word, Sheepworrier, if you'd like a letter of thank's for utilising your taxes so wisely. And by the way, their talents were already prospering long before they recieved any sponsorship/lottery/tax funding.
    For the rest of you:

http://www.yorkshire.com/