Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dvt

Re: Dvt

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F. View Post
    I had a DVT in my left calf in 2007. I found out as I had a very painful/stiff calf and chest pains.

The after-effects have been damage to my veins which has made the blood-flow not as smooth, so it swells up if I don't wear a stocking and feels uncomfortable, although not awful.

I basically have to wear a stocking up to below my knee at all times. Not sure how it's affected my running as I only started after it happened, but it's probably better when running that when stood washing up, for example, so there's a good excuse.

Depressing to hear you have to wear a stocking for ever more, but you get used to it.

And apart from that, it's just a case of being careful on flights.

Hope that helps a bit.
    That doesn't sound good. Sounds like you had a pulmonary embolism as well as the DVT. I guess I just have to wait and see how the leg improves.

I've had three in my calf (following a fairly gruesome car accident in '99), and the only advice I'd give is that you MUST be aware that you're now at higher risk of developing DVT in that area than before. The way it was explained to me was that it's a bit like blowing up a balloon and then letting it down again - the 'floppy' bit you blow into never quite regains its original shape, and that's what happens with your blood vessels. So - be extra aware when flying (keep mobile, stay hydrated etc), and keep a close eye on it. Haven't had a problem for about six years now though, so I don't want to make you think it's a regularly recurring problem - just needs to be borne in mind, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F. View Post
    Depressing to hear you have to wear a stocking for ever more, but you get used to it.
    Given that lots of runners now choose to wear knee-high compression stockings, at great expense, I suggest that anyone wearing ONE stocking for DVT etc should ask their GP to prescribe TWO. Especially if the problem has arisen spontaneously rather than from an accident, surely prevention on the other leg is desirable. And wearing just one stocking must make it very awkward to choose socks, shoes and trousers. It is also desirable to wear compression stockings if you have the slightest chance of developing varicose veins, as the NHS will not treat these any more until they are actually bleeding! (And the treatment is not nice, and interferes with your running in the short term.) So prevention is a great idea.

Once one has accepted the idea of wearing compression stockings for the future of one's veins and one's performance and recovery, what's to be depressed about? Especially as they feel great! The NHS prescription costs a lot less than the over-the-counter price (nearly £50 for Sigvaris, Mike T tells us), free if one is over 60, so personally I'm smiling all the way to the chemist.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

In the new "Fellrunner" Denise Parks says on pp. 68-69 "...fell runners are particularly at risk of vascular problems especially varicose veins". She goes on to recommend compression stockings.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Master and MR

Keep us posted on how your doing marvin. Hope its going okay mate.

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Keep us posted on how your doing marvin. Hope its going okay mate.
    The DVT has eased enormously, in fact I think the blood is probably flowing properly through the vein again. My finger is still a bit swollen, but reasonably mobile now, and I think my knee is in better condition than yours are judging by the photo on your blog! Well done on your result:thumbup:.

I'm still negotiating how long I'll need to be on warfarin, but expecting it to be three rather than six months, and my INR (blood clotting) is slightly above the target of 2 to 3 on 2mg a day, so the dose has been dropped a bit. In other words, I'm managing on a fairly low dose of warfarin which I'm very pleased about.

I've been out on the mountain bike for a couple of short rides this week, and it's helped my mobility enormously, so I'm going to keep riding as much as seems sensible. I can now drive again which Jane is very pleased about!

Watch out, I'll be back out on the hills as soon as my metatarsalgia has gone away, but in the meantime I'm going to put in plenty of time on the bike.

Master and MR

Nice one mate, keep us up to date. Sounds like its going okay . Yes look forward to seeing you on the fells.