Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mileage pace ?

Mileage pace ?

Is there such a thing as an average mile pace for running in the fells, or are there just too many variables to be able to say what an average mile pace would be ?The reason I ask is that I did the Snowdon race route today and got to the summit in 1hr22. I was just wondering if I was slow, really slow or going backwards lol

Re: Mileage pace ?

I did the race this year - summited in 1:12 (down in 37mins) and finished 325th/471 i.e. still well below half way (but it is a high quality field )
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

Quote Originally Posted by The Hat View Post
    Is there such a thing as an average mile pace for running in the fells, or are there just too many variables to be able to say what an average mile pace would be ?
    Whilst certainly not being any kind of speedster myself, it still amazes me the times that the top few get at various races.

Just as an example, last Saturdays 'Harriers verses Cyclists' (organised by Bingley Harriers), the top placed runner (Tom Adams; 'Ilkey Harriers') completed the 6 mile course in 34:18.
    Hell !!, that'd be a fantastic time for a 10K on the road!, & there can't be any road-races with similar gradients in them.

That said, the gradient/terrain is definately a big factor for us 'mere mortals'
    As described below

Up to press', my road 10K 'PB' is 42:38 (Askern 10K, August)
    But; for the above mentioned 'H v C', my 'PB' is 47:08

And for the harder races like 'Ilkely Moor Fell-Race' (1260 feet of ascent - but only 5 miles!!), a 'PB' of 54:56

That said, I daren't tell you how long it took me to finish the HolmeMoss race in 2010, as I 'blew' completely at 15 miles
    Last edited by RichardAThackeray; 23-11-2011 at 12:55 PM.
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

How long's a piece of string. I like to think that when I'm out on my own in the local hills I'll run at 5 mph and were I to push it maybe 6 mph. It depends on the hills, the ground conditions and weather though. The last proper fell race I ran was the Langdale Horseshoe which is 13 (hard) miles where I averaged that a smidge over 4 mph

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    How long's a piece of string.
    Perhaps I should have just used that phrase instead of trying to show how the terrain affects times/results?
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

'Richard' I am a bit 'disappointed' in your last 'post' as there are no 'apostrophes' in 'it'!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    How long's a piece of string. I like to think that when I'm out on my own in the local hills I'll run at 5 mph and were I to push it maybe 6 mph. It depends on the hills, the ground conditions and weather though. The last proper fell race I ran was the Langdale Horseshoe which is 13 (hard) miles where I averaged that a smidge over 4 mph
    Stolly that sounds about right for me. My average is 6mph for shorter blasts without too much climb (up to 1000 feet), 5mph for up to 12 and 2000 feet of ups and downs. For longer hauls it drops to the 4's. My last long event was 21.5 miles, 3500 ups and downs at 4.4mph.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Nelly View Post
    'Richard' I am a bit 'disappointed' in your last 'post' as there are no 'apostrophes' in 'it'!!!
    'Nelly', I noticed 'Richard's' 'lack of' 'inverted commas' too. 'Poor show' by his 'usual standards' ' :closed: '
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I don't worry too much about average mile pace, but I do find a general rule applies when running an out and back up a mountain or a series of mountains/hills, which is that it normally takes approximately half as long to get down as it does getting up (with a slight bias depending on whether you're a good climber or a good descender).
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

I always 'enjoy' Richard's 'posts' - especially when mentioning 'race names' in 'inverted commas' :thumbup: