Thread: Atrophy or injury

Atrophy or injury

Having recently developed an injury (see Injury forum) which allows running but causes pain is it better to atrophy or cause more injury?
    I'm due to run the Rosedale rumble a week on Saturday and obviously more training won't be massively beneficial but will it stop my legs and fitness fading away? I will have been off running for about 3weeks all told. Should I painkiller up and keep putting in the miles or just aim to get better and ignore the taper?

CHeers,

MAtt

Re: Atrophy or injury

Can you do something aerobic without causing pain? Cycling, cross trainer, swimming? IMO running through pain just builds up a bigger problem which will take longer to heal in the end - not worth it. Injuries can end running careers forever - is it worth the risk?
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

I can't see that a week makes a big difference. Is racing really that important to you that you are prepared to run with pain? My advice; get better and enjoy running.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Having recently developed an injury (see Injury forum) which allows running but causes pain is it better to atrophy or cause more injury?
    I'm due to run the Rosedale rumble a week on Saturday and obviously more training won't be massively beneficial but will it stop my legs and fitness fading away? I will have been off running for about 3weeks all told. Should I painkiller up and keep putting in the miles or just aim to get better and ignore the taper?

CHeers,

MAtt
    Matt,
    Pain is generally the body telling you to stop doing what you are doing because it is causing injury. Muscle atrophy on a significant level isn't going to happen in a week or so. If I were you I'd be more bothered about finding out what is causing the pain and trying to prevent or rehab appropriately.
    have a read of this http://globaltherapies.blogspot.com/...tment-and.html it might help possibly - let me know.
    regards, and good luck
    Lynne