Thread: Spine Race/Mary Townley Loop

Spine Race/Mary Townley Loop

Did a training race over the 47 mile Mary Townley Loop of the Pennine Bridleway last Saturday.
    It was organised by the Spine Race team which takes part in january next year along the full 268 miles of the Pennine Way.
    It felt somewhat awkward, especially after only returning to running in September after 5.5 years off with injury.
    Trying to run with a backpack of 10kg is what you might call restrictive, however with water food and all the compulsary gear, it is difficult to get it much lower.
    Up with the leaders for about 8 mile before easing off, getting bad cramp and finally slowing to stay with a guy during the night section who was struggling a bit.
    Got round in just under 14 hours, crazy, probably could have walked the whole thing faster and not been anywhere near as tight in the legs the next day.
    Still at 66 years after such a long time off, it's great to be back and just doing something.
    Dave.

Re: Spine Race/Mary Townley Lo

I was thinking of doing the loop as a self sufficient run sometime as it's fairly local. What's it like as a route - fairly good going presumably but is it interesting?

We only carry 5-6kg for a winter MM so not sure what they are making you carry that adds up to 10kg. It seems a lot.
    I have run chunks on my own for long days out and will almost certianly do the lot next year at some point, fairly local for me depending on where I park to start/finish

The Mary Towneley Loop I think is a stunning loop. Yes, it's all on Bridleways (designed for horses, used by MTBers) and I'm sure we all have our feelings about running on Bridleways as opposed to paths / trods, but it takes you from valley to valley to valley to valley. Up and over, always unveiling a new vista.

Stunning stuff (but I've never run it, only MTB'd it !)

14 hrs isn't bad going for such an "undulating" course with 10kg on your back. I've MTBd it a few times and like Karen I have frequently considered running it. Maybe next year. But not carrying 10kg!

It is an an excellent loop, however after all the recent rain was very wet and boggy in places, also plenty of cobbles.
    We started just North of Hebden Bridge at 0740 and hit the dark at around 1715, then lost some time trying to find the little path to Hebden Hayes where the centre was.
    The reason for the compulsary kit, which includes cooking gear, shelter, sleeping bag (-10degC Extreme min), sleep mat, mobile, gps and 2 days food etc. is so that one can survive a night out
    in whatever the weather throws at us. Most will done during the hours of darkness with over 40 miles between checkpoints and one of over 60 miles.
    I think from what I have heard, that all this gear is an insurance requirement.
    It is not a staged race but a non stop race, the first to Scotland and the finish wins.
    It was run for the first time last January and out of 17 only 3 finished. Most gave up due to fatigue, 2 suffering Hypothermia and 1 with Trench Foot. Nightime temps were down to -12 and towards the end a covering of snow.
    Dave.

Yeh. I see what you mean- you did not need the 10kg sack for the MT Loop but were training to carry ir for the long race. Makes sense - but it is still a great deal of weight compared to what we carry on mountain marathons, although they do not prescribe how many season your sleeping bag must be in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MAN View Post
    I was thinking of doing the loop as a self sufficient run sometime as it's fairly local. What's it like as a route - fairly good going presumably but is it interesting?
    Been planning this for some time myself. Ran a few legs of the Pennine Bridleway Relay before as well as MTB'd a few sections so can vouch for what's already been said. It's looking like February for me if you're interested?

Quote Originally Posted by pkdo75 View Post
    Been planning this for some time myself. Ran a few legs of the Pennine Bridleway Relay before as well as MTB'd a few sections so can vouch for what's already been said. It's looking like February for me if you're interested?
    Yes that is possible - I'm out of action at the moment but hope to get back in my stride for the new year so mid Feb looks about right.