Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: UTMB etc 2012

Re: UTMB etc 2012

The rules on the UTMB web-site (http://www.ultratrailmb.com/page/16/Rules.html) say

"2. Refreshment posts have been supplied with drinks and food to consume on the spot.
    Only plain water (excluding other drinks) is destined for filling-up water bottles or bags. Each runner must be sure to have, upon leaving each refreshment post, the quantity of water and food necessary for them to reach the next refreshment post."

which does seem to say it applies to food too. (Last year I got a bit of a look from a marshall when leaving a checkpoint with a handful of biscuits, but they didn't attempt to stop me, possibly because I was only a couple of minutes inside the cut-off...)

Quote Originally Posted by an! View Post
    The rules on the UTMB web-site (http://www.ultratrailmb.com/page/16/Rules.html) say

"2. Refreshment posts have been supplied with drinks and food to consume on the spot.
    Only plain water (excluding other drinks) is destined for filling-up water bottles or bags. Each runner must be sure to have, upon leaving each refreshment post, the quantity of water and food necessary for them to reach the next refreshment post."

which does seem to say it applies to food too. (Last year I got a bit of a look from a marshall when leaving a checkpoint with a handful of biscuits, but they didn't attempt to stop me, possibly because I was only a couple of minutes inside the cut-off...)
    Mea culpa

I just looked at the short version in the race handbook, not at the Rules themselves.

I have left aid stations with a "take-out" without difficulty. Maybe when the crowds are thick on the ground, it's easier to not be noticed.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Every time I've done it I have always left cps with food and never got challenged. If that's the rule it's a silly one. I cant see any harm in taking a bit of food in hand and eating it on the move? As for the 1 litre, that seams a daft rule too. To do an event like this you should have done the research / training to know how much liquid you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lucker View Post
    I don't think it is wise to eat too much at any CP. 1 portion of pasta should be plenty, it is tasty and well worth eating. But I agree with you Nick it is tough to get going out of Courmayeur, a tough time of day and a tough climb. Just keep positive, because once at the top the run along the top from Bertone to Bonatti and beyond has to be one of the best trails in the world.
    I only ever ate one portion and it always overwhelmed my digestion. I remember the sauce being far too strong and concentrated. I think it dehydrated me. I'll steer clear next year.

I agree about that trail after Courmayeur that contours and undulates once we have gained that altitude. It's one of the parts that's stuck in my mind. I took a couple of pictures last year. Here's one.

Cracking pics Nick, I recall those superb views on that section too. And it shows how well you were going last year, it was well dark by time I got to Arnuva. Should set a better pace this year, if not it must be something about continental "air" that is b*ggering me up

Don't think I get the luxury of pasta, but from watching the TDS section of highlights DVD again last night their is a soup stop and the CP look just as well stocked as the UTMB ones

DE, I had to put my head torch on during the climb to Grand Col Ferret.

You have a good 'un. You'll be fast after your recent performances. I hope the weather behaves for you this year.

I can't believe they are serious about the 1 litre of water rule (which I understand is that you have to have 1 litre of water with you at all times). My assumption is that they mean you have to have the capacity to carry 1 litre of water. I don't really understand why having to carry a dead kilogram around the course is to anyone's benefit.

On a different topic: does anyone have any good suggestions for a camp site that is really close to Chamonix and likely to have space? We were very lucky to get a campsite last year about half a mile south of Chamonix (a bit noisy though). I'm not sure we will be as lucky this year. We don't have a car and need to get to the CCC buses at early o'clock.

-Martin

Quote Originally Posted by MorganW View Post
    Eirik

If you are the Valley Strider I think you are, you should do sub-20.

The last time I did MdeMB, I clocked about 7.30 as part of my CCC prep.

Despite the foul weather for around 9 hours last year and the course variations, I managed 19 hours dead.

Don't look too far ahead, stay flexible if things get bent out of shape, eat and drink well and don't take any notice of the body's frequent "No" signals.

Try and enjoy the scenery, the fantastic views and most of all the spirit shown by your fellow competitors, the volunteers and the wonderfully supportive crowds. Being cheered on at 2.00 or 3.00 am in the morning or being offered a drink or a bite to eat by a complete stranger at that time of night may almost move you to tears. It will also put fire in your belly and help you deliver on your personal promise to get to Chamonix.
    Morgan,

Cheers for good advice.

Yea, I am most probably the Valley Strider you are thinking of and I probably should do a sub-20 hour finish but 100K is more than double the distance I have ever done before so it could go either way.

I will for sure try to enjoy the atmosphere and scenery and should those "NO" signals ask to many questions I will revert to the tried and trusted Jelly babies, jaffa cakes and nuun drink.
    Last edited by Eirik The Viking; 23-08-2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: missing word

All,

Thanks for good information about the food and drink stops. I agree that the 1 litre rules is a bit over the top. Surely we must be allowed to have drunk the litre when we get to the next drink stop? With the litre of water, I think my bag will be about 3.5 kilos.

Britnick,

Super photo - I reccied that part of the route 2-3 weeks ago - absolutely stunning part of the world.

Sorry if I have added to the confusion about the 1 litre of water requirement. You have to leave each CP with a minimum of 1 litre of liquid. You can then drink the lot by the next CP. My issue with it is that (on some sections anyway) 1 litre is too much for me, so on every TMB I have done, I have taken this rule with a pinch of salt (also helps when hot). I think most of the time I left with about half a litre.
    I think it is treating people like kids to say eat up your food before leaving a CP, then you must take a litre with you when you set off. You should be able to take care of yourself on these undertakings, especially when you have earned the points to be there proving that you are not a novice.

You do have to carry some food all the way and never consume it, other than in an emergency.
    Last edited by Alan Lucker; 24-08-2012 at 09:30 AM.