Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: UTMB etc 2012

Re: UTMB etc 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lucker View Post
    I think it is treating people like kids to say eat up your food before leaving a CP, then you must take a litre with you when you set off. You should be able to take care of yourself on these undertakings, especially when you have earned the points to be there proving that you are not a novice.
    I cannot fault that argument.

That rule on food has been there for years but I think its lost in translation I never had an issue.. I used to fill plastic bags with fruit and then walk up the next hill eating fruit and never got stopped.

re water, it depended on the stage, I normally just had my half litre on my chest pouch, but took more on the dryer hotter sections.

re campsites I've stayed at the http://www.chamonixcampinglesarolles.fr/ a short walk to the centre and cheap, not sure I ever booked, there was always space.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    That rule on food has been there for years but I think its lost in translation I never had an issue.. I used to fill plastic bags with fruit and then walk up the next hill eating fruit and never got stopped.

re water, it depended on the stage, I normally just had my half litre on my chest pouch, but took more on the dryer hotter sections.

re campsites I've stayed at the http://www.chamonixcampinglesarolles.fr/ a short walk to the centre and cheap, not sure I ever booked, there was always space.
    I agree with that recommendation.
    I stayed there last year a few weeks prior to doing the race. They certainly cram you in. It is a campsite for a smallish tent. But it is cheap close to the centre and has all you need.

A very mixed looking weather forecast for later this week:

http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-m...r_forecast.php

Why does this happen every time I try and run more than 60 miles?!
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganW View Post
    A very mixed looking weather forecast for later this week:

http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-m...r_forecast.php

Why does this happen every time I try and run more than 60 miles?!
    I thought that was a pretty good weather forecast: cool and wet. I did the UTMB in 2008 (or maybe 2009) and it was stinking hot: those conditions were really terrible. I'm doing the CCC, so cool and wet during the day is OK: it might be a lot more tedious to do the night sections of the UTMB in cold and wet conditions (especially on the Cols de Bonhomme and Seigne).

One thing I messed up on last year (CCC) was only taking the minimum clothing. I got really cold when it started to rain and the "sun" went down. Given this year's forecast, I'll be taking a fleece as well as the minimum kit.

I think Camping Les Arolles might be the best bet. We were there last year too (we got one of the last spaces). It was quite noisy, being near the road. I guess it is the simplest solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Zlod View Post
    I thought that was a pretty good weather forecast: cool and wet. I did the UTMB in 2008 (or maybe 2009) and it was stinking hot: those conditions were really terrible. I'm doing the CCC, so cool and wet during the day is OK: it might be a lot more tedious to do the night sections of the UTMB in cold and wet conditions (especially on the Cols de Bonhomme and Seigne).

One thing I messed up on last year (CCC) was only taking the minimum clothing. I got really cold when it started to rain and the "sun" went down. Given this year's forecast, I'll be taking a fleece as well as the minimum kit.
    Martin, agreed, it's not too bad a forecast. But they are saying the rain/snow level is 2,400m. Last year this figure started at 3,200m early in the week then sunk to 2,000m by race start time. So Bonhomme and Seigne could be fun for those of us going that way.

Having suffered storms and cold the last 2 years in the CCC, and being someone who spends a lot more time out there than you do I suspect, some calmer weather would make a nice change.

After the mental heat they have been having, these more temperate conditions should suit many Brits.

As regards kit, I had adequate with the compulsory gear, but I didnt get it on early enough.

When I arrived at Vallorcine around 2.00 am, it was like a scene from MASH, bodies everywhere trying to warm up. I'd put waterproof bottoms on at Col de la Forclaz but not enough extra on top. I left Vallo with everything on bar my tights (no point) including my waterproof Raid Light overgloves. I was warm again by Argentiere.

Fortunately with a drop bag at C'mayeur, if I get soaked in the first 44 miles, at least I can get a full set of dry clothes and a change of shoes and socks.

Have a good race.

THURSDAY AUGUST 30
    Very unsettled - often mostly cloudy - thundery showers
    SKY CONDITION : mostly cloudy - possible fleeting sunny spells towards the middle of the day. Period of sunshine close to 30%.
    PRECIPITATION : showers - more frequent with possible local thunderstorm in the afternoon.
    WIND - aloft : WSW moderate - S strong at times.
    TEMPERATURE : low +10°C - high +21°C.
    Uncertain.
    EXTENDED OUTLOOK UNTIL SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 02 2012

Friday : very cool and mainly cloudy - showers, becoming scattered - rain-snow limit dropping towards 2000 m. Saturday : fairly sunny - cold early in the morning - getting milder in the afternoon, but fairly strong NE wind. Sunday : fairly sunny - cool in the morning - warm in the afternoon. Very uncertain by now.

Forecast reliability : fairly good until Tuesday - poor thereafter.

Not the worst forecast but certainly not the best. I much rather have it hot and sunny and go slow during the day with above freezing temperature at night than the forecasted cool and potentially snowy weather.

Anyhow, we can't control the weather so we just have to adjust to it accordingly and get on with it I suppose.

My Ultra race debut is only 4 days away now - really looking forward to it.

Good luck to everyone in their respective races
    Last edited by Eirik The Viking; 27-08-2012 at 11:00 PM.

You pays your money and you take your chances. Totally clear blue skies yesterday which made for some stunning views from the Aiguille de Midi (12,600 ft) - we took the cable car rather than walk !!

A little more cloud this morning but still heading for the mid 20's. First time in these parts but guess the weather (like the Lake District) can be pretty variable compared with what is given out. Anyway expect the worst and that way you can only be pleasantly surprised.

We went to see the start of the PTL last night and the atmosphere is really starting to build in the town.

Just want to get the CCC over and done with and then I can get back on the beer. A holiday without alcohol...very strange.

However, I think I have found a bar showing the QPR match on Saturday evening so that is something to lure my weary legs over the last few miles.:thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Dog View Post
    You pays your money and you take your chances. Totally clear blue skies yesterday which made for some stunning views from the Aiguille de Midi (12,600 ft) - we took the cable car rather than walk !!

A little more cloud this morning but still heading for the mid 20's. First time in these parts but guess the weather (like the Lake District) can be pretty variable compared with what is given out. Anyway expect the worst and that way you can only be pleasantly surprised.

We went to see the start of the PTL last night and the atmosphere is really starting to build in the town.

Just want to get the CCC over and done with and then I can get back on the beer. A holiday without alcohol...very strange.

However, I think I have found a bar showing the QPR match on Saturday evening so that is something to lure my weary legs over the last few miles.:thumbup:

There will be plenty of bars showing the Man City or QPR match on Saturday evening. take your pick from Bar'd Up, The Pub, Monkey Bar, Munster bar, The Jekyll and plenty more I think. I'll probably watch it in Bar'd up!

Arrived in Chamonix a couple hours ago - perfect running conditions at the moment - overcast and 20 degrees.

A holiday without alcohol is certainly quite strange and I will therefore have a couple of beers tonight and tomorrow night but I'll probably jump on the wagon the night before the race (Thursday).

The forecast is getting more detailed as Thursday and Friday approach. It is not looking quite so bad in terms of volume of precipitation.

But we've all had a text message from the organisers this evening predicting temperatures of -5 C on Friday night, so it could get very hairy over Cols de Bonhomme and Seigne until it warms up again on Saturday morning.

The forecast has it getting milder through Saturday, though still on the cool side.

Looking forward to a final 50 minutes or so in the warm tomorrow morning.