Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: UTMB etc 2012

Re: UTMB etc 2012

I confess to being ticked off it won't be 100 miles, but as they say, it's not my race, my reputation or my insurance policy.

Similar problems at Ben Nevis tomorrow?
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Wow, that's a huge course change. Not really a tour as such anymore. Gutted for you all.

Some of the favourites pulling out now that the course has been significantly altered - Iker Karrerra, Julien Chorier, Miguel Heras.

Coincidence that they are all Salomon athletes and it's a North Face event........??

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    Congratulations to Helen Pritchard (Allison) from Pennine on successful completion on the TDS - brilliant running, so pleased for you
    http://www.utmb.livetrail.net/coureur.php?rech=8051
    Congratulations indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaks View Post
    Some of the favourites pulling out now that the course has been significantly altered - Iker Karrerra, Julien Chorier, Miguel Heras.

Coincidence that they are all Salomon athletes and it's a North Face event........??
    North Face runners would probably be pulling out too if it weren't a North Face event.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaks View Post

Heras will run but isn't keen.

The re-route is a major disappointment; replacing one of the great 100 milers in the world with a 100K loop around the woods and trails of the Vallee de Chamonix and the Val de Montjoie.

Francois d'Haene has expressed my views well enough:

I regret that the course is not maintained despite the conditions which would i think would have captured the spirit of adventure, challenge and support that are normally the core values of the UTMB. I have invested heavily in this race and have prepared for an adventure that is now not going to happen and I'm very disappointed.

I'm struggling to find the motivation to run it to be honest.

According to the reports from the press conference things are due to be getting colder and they already had quite a lot to deal with during the TDS [""We had a #TDS aid station last night with 300 cold, wet abandons. You can't imagine the challenge of caring for them." #UTMB Race Director, Katrine" irunfar on twitter]. It's a miracle they are going ahead. It seems the qualification system isn't working, or conditions really are rough for competitors to be dropping out at such a rate (Way more over than 300 dropped out of TDS of course!)

It must be very dissapointing, as the whole reason we sign up to these events is to be challenged, but 100km with 6000m of ascent in those conditions doesn't sound like a walk in the park!

Attachment 6348
    Just a very quick screengrab from the ultratrail.tv channel - the scenes with runners in are worse. They are basically saying the compulsory kit is not enough to keep folk safe. It seems very foggy too, which must add to concerns!

Just getting ready to go down to the start, also spent a lot of time & money & effort getting here. Conditions are bad but I havnt run one race this year in anything but poor conditions. Finding it difficult to get motivated but having run in the Round Rotherham 50 to get here even a low level run in the alps on a rainy day is far more inspiring. Good luck everyone.