Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: UTMB etc 2012

Re: UTMB etc 2012

Gutted about the course change for everyone,after all the build up vids etc can't understand not having a better plan B in place esp after 2010.
    Anyway try and enjoy and good luck..

I know Mrs Crumbly has been training and looking forward to this all year (as well as a few mates from Macc), so this is right kick in the teeth. Very disappointing, but I hope at least some folk find the shorter route a consellation (sp.?)... you know what I mean.

Sorry folks:boohoo:... must be berluddy infuriating.

Under these circumsatances, are qualifying points transferable to the following year?
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Gutted for everyone, nothing can be done about it though and at least everyone is alive and safe.
    Hills and Guinness!

I guess the aforementioned TDS CP was Cormet de Roselund? Had rained on off all day, but mostly ok in top and waterproof and got better on the huge climb after Bourg St Maurice, sun even out before passeur de Prologne briefly. Then rain started and over-the-top a cold wind and heavy rain shower hit there as came off the tehnical descent (I was stuck in a people train behind slow descenders socouldn't get down quickly). As I approached Cormet the rain kicked in harder and it was rammed in the marquee, took me ages to warm up and find a space to settle, open pack and get gear out and on. Needed 3 layers (2 baselayers) and two bowls of soup to stop shivering and got going. Not to be though, I was like bambi on dsecents after here, especially in the mud which was considerable in places, no strength and struggling uphill. So I checked out at Col Joly (80k), immense race!

Well done to those that finished TDS, even without effects of cold, rain and mud (not sure if course is always a muddy one? as made it more technical than UTMB in my experiance) its a beast of a course! CP data table says 5550m+ to where I finished at Col Joly - I'd garmined more.

Quote Originally Posted by lantern rouge View Post

Under these circumsatances, are qualifying points transferable to the following year?
    After the 2010 abandonment, the points were not tranferable to 2011, and as such I did not have enough to enter. Having been involved in 2010, I feel for those people not being able to do the course they have worked so hard for. A massive disappointment for everyone.

I entered for 2012 but didn't get through the draw (in hindsight, I'm now glad I didn't), so it looks like a guaranteed entry for 2013 as I have more than enough points. Surely they can't have bad weather 4 years running. :thunbdown:

DB

Just back from finishing the CCC ( + reviving bath and cup of tea - can't face a beer yet) which had two climbs taken out reducing it to c87km and 4500 m of ascent. From Arnuva (c18km in) I had 4 layers on top and full leggings and waterproof trousers, hat and thick gloves for the rest of the race. I wasn't too cold but boy was I wet.

The ascent of Col Ferret in a full on blizzard will live long in the memory. Probably a good thing it came relatively near to the start. It pretty much rained all day, falling as snow above 1600 - 1800 metres. Conditions underfoot were very muddy in an awful lot of places especially the descents.

My wife and daughters saw some some pretty distressed people at some of the checkpoints. I was in and out as quick as I could to ensure I didn't lose too much heat. I am just mightily glad that I finished when I did as a couple more hours out in those conditions would have been not much fun to say the least.

Of course it is hugely disappointing for the UTMB participants but I am sure it was done in the interest of safety and taking account of the ability of the organisers to deal with the problems which would have ensued. No doubt they will receive criticism from certain quarters but sadly that seems to go with the territory of organising races these days.

I am sure many will disagree and I would respect your opinions which is what mine is.

Well Done Bob the Dog, conditions look pretty crap on the UTMB, criticism should levelled at the weather:wink:
    Hills and Guinness!

Would be good to see a more inventive alternative. The trails inevitably go high and I shudder to think of the logistics to make last minute changes to a race on that scale but a radically shortened course which for many will be more night than day doesn't seem a particularly inspiring solution for a race of that scale and reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    Well Done Bob the Dog, conditions look pretty crap on the UTMB, criticism should levelled at the weather:wink:
    Seconded Steve... Bob's account sounds pretty grim and the organisers are damned if they do and damned if they don't... the weather is seriously at fault!
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

497 abandonments at Cormet de Roselund in TDS :w00t: large part of the 57% drop-out/timed-out. The weather before TDS hadn't beeb bad for as long as before CCC nd UTMB and I reckon a lot of people caught out.