Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs on Bowland

Dogs on Bowland

I have asked Wheezing Donkey this once before, but I cant remember the exact answer.

I have heard that dogs are generally not allowed on the Bowland fells. I havent actually read any documentation confirming this, but I certainly dont want to risk taking my dog where he shouldnt be.

I believe dogs are still allowed on Parlick, but could anyone identify the exact boundary point as to where they cannot go any further.

Also on a reasurance point, is there any documentation confirming the areas I can/cant take my pooch that I could print off and keep with me incase some know-it-all tries to have a go at me.

Al.

Re: Dogs on Bowland

Young Dave Fowl-Up, (As Far As I Am Aware) when the CROW Act came in, the land owners were given the option of saying yea or nay as to whether they were prepared to tolerate dogs as well as pedestrians across their open land. As most of the Bowland estates are managed commercially as shooting estates ( ground nesting game birds ) they obviously answered in the negative - remember, when you go for a 6 mile run your unleashed dog will cover about 20 miles and most of that 'off piste', I.E. your dog will disturb far more ground nesting birds than you will.

The 'front' of Parlick Pike is common land, therefore accessible to dog walkers. So if you take your dog onto the fell through the gate at Fell Foot you are ok, but from that point you cannot cross any other fences or walls ( even via the stiles or kissing gates ) as at that point you will be leaving the common land.

Ian.

What about the rights of way on the Bowland Fells (eg the path up Clougha from Rowten Brook)?
    I assume that dogs are permitted here, but the landowner may insist that they must be on a lead.

Its a shame really that Bowland so dog unfriendly because even though its only half an hour away I never go there running anymore. I dispute WD's view that dogs run 20 miles to our 6 (mine probably runs 18 to my 15) and there's a paradox somewhere in protecting wildlife so that a few well to do hunters can instead blow it to kingdom come at their leisure. I don't even go to Gisburn Forest anymore as its now become such a MTB mecca as to run there means that you're always in the way of the bikists. I love Bowland though, its a real hidden treasure of a place, and unfortunately likely to remain that way from a stolly point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by The Navigator View Post
    What about the rights of way on the Bowland Fells (eg the path up Clougha from Rowten Brook)?
    I assume that dogs are permitted here, but the landowner may insist that they must be on a lead.
    Can a landowner insist a dog is leashed on a PRoW...

It's a legal accompaniment... and I think that just means under control. The CRoW and PRoW rules are contrasting with regards to dogs, but I think on a PRoW, even through CroW, the dog can be off the lead, as long as its undercontrol..

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Can a landowner insist a dog is leashed on a PRoW...

It's a legal accompaniment... and I think that just means under control. The CRoW and PRoW rules are contrasting with regards to dogs, but I think on a PRoW, even through CroW, the dog can be off the lead, as long as its undercontrol..
    I don't know what the legal status is here.
    On farmland, I expect that 'under control' or 'under close control' would be the requirement, particularly so where stock are grazing.
    Not sure what would apply on CRoW land.

On CRoW open access land then it should be dogs on leads between certain dates and around livestock, on a PrOW a dog is classed as a 'legal accompaniment' and is allowed with you 'under control'. Its meant to stay on the line of the path and close, within a few metres or so, but there is no requirement for a lead as I understand..

But I thought where a PRoW crosses CRoW land, the former takes precedent..

It certainly is a shame, but such is life.

It just means that the only time I'll ever descend on Bowland will be for a race. Unless I want to do hill reps on Parlick!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    On CRoW open access land then it should be dogs on leads between certain dates and around livestock
    Many of the moors near us specify no dogs on CRoW land at any time.
    Strictly speaking it's between certain dates, but those date ranges typically last 3 years and are all renewed when they expire.

Master

re Forest of Bowland, check the Open Access website for restrictions
    http://www.openaccess.naturalengland.org.uk

Some areas appear to be dogs on leads between August and December.
    Other areas have a permanent ban.