Thread: Cramp in Montrail Highlanders

Cramp in Montrail Highlanders

Just bought a pair of Montrail Highlanders, which feel like impressive beasts for longer runs and training, but I'm getting foot cramps when running uphill.

Cramp goes away on the flat/downhill, so otherwise are nice, supportive shoes. Any ideas on how to deal with this- other than the obvious (getting shot of them)...

I have flat, wide feet, and the women's Highlander appears to have a narrow last with a wildly contoured insole which I jettisoned on day 1. Replaced it with nice flat Inov-8 ones (the best bit of an Inov-8 shoe :"), which seems to help a bit.

Anyone else had this?

david

Re: Cramp in Montrail Highland

Once upon a time Walsh PBs used to come fitted with a little foam arch support which used to give me similar problems so the first job with a new pair was always to rip the support out. If the insole is now flat there's probably not much else you can do except persevere and see if the problem goes away as the shoes mould to the shape of your feet, if the shoes are flexible enough to do that.

Hmm, thanks for that- yes, I'll use them as extreme slippers until they start to take a bit more shape and perhaps come to their senses.

Rhiannon

ive not had cramp but have found fit of them starnge, did a longish race other week and found my feel slipping in them when contouring and or taking a sharp corner, and i couldnt have tied them any tighter, im not sure if its the cushoining or that i have narrow feet. i changed the inner for a 3mm inov8 one but then changed again for a 6 mm, could try thicker insole. like the inov8 6mm.

I got a pair of these and have felt a bit of crampiness in my feet... seems to be settling, but what I would do if it doesn't I don't really know. Good luck with the cramps, as they seem pretty good otherwise.

I've tried the pheonix which are pretty much the same as the highlander and they buggered me up completely. Brought to replace Rocklites because they were cheep and got strange cramping on first run. Ran in the week in road shoes at road running club - fine. Then the next Sunday long run I got so cramped (The whole of my leg went dead) that I had to hobble back at snail pace for two miles in agony. Consequently my knee became really sore and I've only just got back to running after about a month and a half. I really think that the shoe did this as I was fine until I tried them. It could be that they didn't suit my gait, pronation and fat feet, but I'm fine in everything else (even Walsh PB Extreme - though not for more than 6-7 miles).

Yep, won't be putting them on for a long time - plus the colour is really crap bright orange and yellow.

But hey, some people love 'em.

Ooh dear, sounds fairly major, Twister, and clearly mine is not an isolated incident. So you've got a smashing pair of extreme lawn-mowing shoes then..? It's a shame as I really like Montrail's stuff for general purpose walking and mooching to crags.

I took them off road last night and the foot cramps were much better, and hardly noticed them, so maybe they are on the up.

I bought them as I wanted something more substantial than the New Balance RX Terrains which I love to bits, but can be a bit hard on the feet over longer off piste stuff.

This thread makes interesting reading. I've had plantar fasciitis for yonks now and the montrail highlanders really aggravate the painful area, whereas my walshes and Mizuno Wave Harriers don't. I think its the inherent arch support and rigid soles that cause it and this might also account for your cramping issues.