Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NB Minimus or Flite 195's

Re: NB Minimus or Flite 195's

I have flite 230s and the Minimus trail. Two important considerations: they have different fits and different uses. I use the Minimus for essentially all training, including runs over 4 hours. As frequently noted about the Minimus, I like that my feet can comfortably splay out. But this is one reason I do not like it for races; at a faster race pace that comfortable splay becomes room to slide in the shoe. Furthermore, in a race I want a full covering sole. In training it is not a problem to feel small stones poking through the exposed midsole between the vibram knobs, but again in a race this is not so desirable. The flite 230 fit snugger on my feet and provide better underfoot protection. But as stated in one reply above, the uppers do not last on these very well - giving out behind the protective rand as mentioned. Also work well as a road shoe, when the need has arisen. I don't get much more than 500 km out of a pair of flite 230s, whereas I have at least 1000 km on each of two pair of Minimus, and they are not done yet.
    The Minimus are also not good in muddier, wetter conditions - again more critical in a racing context. The sole does not grip on wet or frosty rocks, nor are there any lugs to grip in mud. Races in such conditions I have used roclite 285s, but may consider in the future Walsh elite racers (but I need to try the fit first). For races in drier conditions I would like to get my hands on the new MT110s from New Balance, which now has the same last as the Minimus and same 4 mm heel-toe drop, but better underfoot protection.
    So, keep in mind the question of fit and think about what your specific needs are for the shoe you are looking for.

Maybe its not just my weird feet then! I have the same issue with the xtalon 190, which is basically the same shoe with studs on the bottom. Might try the 212; looks like the upper is a bit tougher.

Thanks for the replies,is the size of the f-lites the same as the x-talons? I take a 7 in the talons,would i be wearing the same size in the
    f-lites?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeter View Post
    Thanks for the replies,is the size of the f-lites the same as the x-talons? I take a 7 in the talons,would i be wearing the same size in the
    f-lites?

Cheers
    yeah i have the flite 230s similar fit flites just a tad bigger as the have no protective randing at the toes...comfiest shoes ive worn!
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

f-lites?

Cheers
    flite 230 (blue) and xtalon190(red) are pretty much the same shoe, just different sole tread and possibly a different thickness midsole. I've got both and they feel exactly the same. Wearers of xtalon212 (orange) report it being a tight narrow fit but then I've never worn one so can't comment.
    Possibly the blue and red shoes are a bit narrow for me (hence the failure point across the widest part of the foot) but are so flexible and 'soft' to wear that it's not a big issue. Just thinking out loud.

Have just bought a nice shiny bright red pair of flite 195's and they feel nice,cant wait to go running in them

Have just bought a nice shiny bright red pair of flite 195's and they feel nice,cant wait to go running in them
    Now, come on, you'll only get them all dirty!

Interesting purchase with the minimus zero and MT110 both out in January. Any reason why you didn't wait to check out the competition?
    "That was the night everything changed"

Quote Originally Posted by eavesy187 View Post
    Interesting purchase with the minimus zero and MT110 both out in January. Any reason why you didn't wait to check out the competition?
    Like the look of the 110's but i have always got on with inov8's and as soon as i put them on my feet they felt great
    Last edited by Fleeter; 18-12-2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Not reading the post!

My Minimus and MT101s are more comfy than any inov8s I've had but it's a close call. Certainly for minimal running I imagine the wider toe box of the Minimus is a big advantage over the f-lite...