Thread: Terry Nortley

Terry Nortley

I am sorry to report the death yesterday of Terry Nortley, president of Radcliffe AC. I am sure that there will be members of the forum who knew him.

Terry joined the old Radcliffe Harriers in 1946 and became a formidable competitor on the local scene winning both cross country and road race championships. He also ran on the fells in his later career completing both Snowdon and Ben Nevis races amongst others.

He had been a member of several local clubs, Radcliffe Harriers, Bury (when they and Radcliffe merged), Bolton and finally Radcliffe AC when it reformed.

Terry however is probably best known for his coaching rising through the ranks to senior coach. He coached many runners in a period of over 50 years. It was a sign of his former athletes regard for him that many turned up for his final coaching session in 2008.

He continued to attend SEL and Red Rose cross country meetings offering encouragement to all.

Terry will be sadly missed.

Re: Terry Nortley

A truely lovely man who has made a huge contribution to the sport over the years.

Peter please will you let me know the funeral details.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Terry really was one of life's true gentlemen.

He had a word of encouragement for everyone at the cross country regardless of which club they ran for - even Salford Harriers.

Terry will be sadly missed
    Who cut your hair, Stevie Wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert Nocurry View Post
    A truely lovely man who has made a huge contribution to the sport over the years.

Peter please will you let me know the funeral details.
    Just received the following message:-

The funeral of Terry Nortley will be held on Monday at Radcliffe Crematorium 11am, followed by a gathering afterwards, of anyone who wishes to attend, at Stand Golf Club. Its is more than likely "family flowers only", will keep you appraised.

If anyone is attending the unveiling of the plaque for "The Terry Nortley Mile" at Close Park on Sunday I would advise you to get there by 2pm as parking could be an issue

Mark Emmett
    Radcliffe AC Chair

Quote Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
    Just received the following message:-

The funeral of Terry Nortley will be held on Monday at Radcliffe Crematorium 11am, followed by a gathering afterwards, of anyone who wishes to attend, at Stand Golf Club. Its is more than likely "family flowers only", will keep you appraised.

If anyone is attending the unveiling of the plaque for "The Terry Nortley Mile" at Close Park on Sunday I would advise you to get there by 2pm as parking could be an issue

Mark Emmett
    Radcliffe AC Chair
    Thanks Peter
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There