Thread: Snapping Hip Syndrome

Unhappy Snapping Hip Syndrome

Anybody had this? Any advise on getting rid of it would be appreciated.

Re: Snapping Hip Syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by Double J View Post
    Anybody had this? Any advise on getting rid of it would be appreciated.
    Treatment will depend on what the cause is - tight hip flexors or other muscles/soft tissues, biomechanical or muscular imbalances, the cause might not be at the hip - could be your feet...you need an accurate diagnosis in order to rectify the issue and erradicate the problem through good rehab/strengthening/stretching/myofascial work.

Master

Where is it snapping? Side/front/deep inside? Does it hurt, and if so where, during what particular movements, and what happens when you walk or run?

I've had this for months. No matter how much stretching or rolling I do has sorted it. It's better now but I've not ran for 3 weeks.

It all started a couple of days after a fell race in June, my right knee swelled up making walking and driving very painful. It was like that for a couple of days getting gradually better until healed after about a week and a half. I started to run again on the flat but was getting a stiff feeling in the hip area (right hand side) after about 3 to 4 miles. I did a short fell race where it came on after about half a mile, this then started to happen on the flat so I rested. (It also made sleeping on my right hand side awkward, groin pain and a tight glute).

I am now back running on the flat pain free for about 45 mins however the snapping still occurs when bending over (It would also happen if I ran up some steep hills). If I lie on my left side in the foetus position and lift my right leg I can make it "snap". MRI scan shows everything is normal, anybody had a similar experience?

Master

Snapping itself does not necessarily mean there is a problem but pain does. Pain in the groin makes me think this could be psoas bursitis - I do not know if this would always show up on a MRI scan, though the fact that it was normal excludes quite a few other nasty possibilities. Have you tried eccentric stretching? For psoas this is reverse sit ups - slowly roll your back onto the ground from a sitting position, then push yourself back up with your arms. If you cannot control the descent you are trying to do too many. Build up to 30; follow this with the usual stretches. Also do core exercises - front back and side planks.