Thread: Training Legs for walking part

Training Legs for walking part

Has anyone found a good way to train the legs / calves to help on those really steep walking sections?

I find im ok (ish) on the runnable bits, but slow down more than the ones around me on the virtical walking sections, which then means i have to work harder to make up the lost time.
    I realise that a lot of this is down to training on the hills, but living in Warwickshire i have limited options / chances to get out on anything steep enough and long enough to generate the same level of burn

Re: Training Legs for walking

I'm no expert, but I seem to do better on the uphill bits than downhill bits.

I have the same problem of not having hills that are anything like what you get in fell runs, but running up what I do have seems to be helping and preparing me a bit, and also giving some of that burn, although by a different means.

I've also started doing squats quite regularly to replicate that slow but constant working of your thighs and sort of bum area (don't know if that's the technical term)!

Hope that helps a bit.

Thinking about the squats, once you can do them quite happily without legs/ knees buckling inwards, think about single leg squats as well- but with a low, maybe even bodyweight only weight... all things considered, running is mainly done on 1 leg... and generally not with all that much of a deep squatting action either.
    Just a thought.

another modest little thought here, lifted from the great Joss himself.... whereas good hill walking technique is itty-bitty steps, when you'er training on any kind of walking section (stairs, hills etc) take really big steps instead. I've just started doing this myself on some fierce little slopes on my regular runs. I can actually run up them relatively ok but walking with giant steps up them is waaaaaay harder adn seems to generate the burn in all the right places...therefore it can only be doing me good right?
    I think it's probably important to maintain good 'form' - ie. strong straight back, open chest etc as far as possible, but might be worth a try?

Until relatively recently my most crap 'skill' at fell running was walking up steep hills. I'd sort of hold my own in a race but, having reached a climb, everyone else just breezed past me. I like to think I've stopped the rot now though but there's no special technique as to how I did it - what I do is run in the hills all the time (even my shortest 3 miler includes a 500 foot climb) and I always, always try and run (not walk) up every hill. In the beginning it was all about getting to a higher point be fore walking on some hills each time I ran them but nowadays I'm beating most of them. That said I'm in the Dales - beating some of the hillsides in the Lakes would be a different proposition altogether.

I like to think I've stopped the rot now though but there's no special technique as to how I did it[/QUOTE]

Err....have you looked in the mirror lately? There's only half of you left to cart up those hills!!!
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

cheers guys.. i'll make a start on the squatting and see what happens...

someone did suggest about a stepper machine.. has anyone tried one?

I've said elsewhere the Cross-trainer has definately helped me. We get to use a gym at work and thats my main training tool. Squats, single legged squats, with or without weights. I thinjk theres Roumanian single leg squats too, where you place one foot on a bench then perform a squat, not tried it tho!