Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: BG Training

Re: BG Training

My approach has been to go for the 40ish miles average a week, but always trying to get close to the 10,000' up and down, though working on a hard week, then an easy week.

eg, this
    35 miles 8700'
    60 miles 12500'
    23 miles 8000'
    60 miles 20,000'

I try and do two long days on the harder weeks, back to back as well. Several hours out over the two days. Practice not stopping and eating on the move.

On the easier running weeks I'll do 60+ hilly miles on the bike, maybe netting another 4-5K of ascent.

Oh, and I practice my downhill running technique. I've read many account in which a round's nemesis was in the descents due to weak quads.

Edit: I also like to make some runs as rough as possible under foot, avoiding footpaths, eg tussocks, rocks, heather, bracken.
    Last edited by richpips; 29-11-2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: added extra info.

Blimey... think I might need to start doing a bit more.

Hi Adders,

I did my BG this year and I live in a very flat area - North Bucks. Coming from a road running background - I'd never run on the Fells before - I thought a similar regime to the one you posted was required. As others have said, that's not the case. It is more a climbing (and psychological) challenge than running. I did travel up to the Lakes or Peaks most weekends but in the week and the odd weekend, i had to train around here. The longest hill around here takes about 3min 30 sec to walk up!!! This meant one session consisting of 7 hours in the same woods with a total of 93 hill reps. Mind numbing but necessary.

One guy a few years ago did BG off training in London up steps in a tower block. Time on your feet and climbing is what it is all about. Remember you will spend an awful lot of time walking during it.

Best tip I can give you is to organise good weather

Don't forget if you are coming up to recce there are so many people on this forum who will happily meet you for a day on the fells and most will have a few nav tips for you as well.

I got plenty of help from others and I intend to come up again in the spring to help with others who are reccing once the 'season' gets underway.

Good luck
    If you're going through Hell - keep going! Winston Churchill

[QUOTE=Theolneywayisup;449727]
    The longest hill around here takes about 3min 30 sec to walk up!!! This meant one session consisting of 7 hours in the same woods with a total of 93 hill reps. Mind numbing but necessary.

Ashstroller, take note

More great advice, cheers everyone.

10 reps up and down Jackson Lane would be 4.5 miles but give me 2200ft of climb. Sounds more like it.

When looking at increasing the amount of climb are you all running the climbs or walking some?

When looking at increasing the amount of climb are you all running the climbs or walking some?
    To get the hills in without mental mileage I find nice steep climbs. Maybe runnable on a hill session, but defo walking on a long run out.

Super Moderator

Adders, have in mind the fact you'll be walking virtually everything uphill on your round
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Ashstroller, take note
    Oi Nee Bother........what you having a go at me for?!

My training involves:

Trying to get to the Lakes when I can, to either recce BG route or for example my next trip over will just be about time on feet and a 30plus section of the L100 route.

Hill run round Penshaw by torchlight
    Spin classes
    14+ run with my running club sessions sometime thown in (speed, hills, tempo)
    Weights session
    Specific runners core workout
    AM and PM run totaling 10-12 miles (work related). One off road. (one day a week)
    "Mountaingoat reps" 1mile up, then straight back down - With the aim to progress to 10 of these. Nee Bother - what is my ft on this?

I also plan to double up on my Penshaw torchlight run to add another hill session at lunchtime, on the weeks where I cannot get long sessions on a weekend of walk/run

How do you guys fit it all in? I have good weeks with about 50-60 hilly miles, gym (including core and spin) and some good fast hill walks but some weeks I struggle to fit in 30 miles and a couple of gym sessions... I am concerned that it's not consistent but then wonder if it is too early to be getting that stressed about it - end of May/June is still a few months away!
    Do you not worry that you may peak too early?

http://conversationsalongtheway.com

Super Moderator

10 to 12 weeks of 35 to 45miles and 10,000ft+ Feb to May or Mar to Jun and you'll be fine. Don't worry too much what you're doing in the week either (or in Nov or Dec). Swiss Toni on here had a theory you could get round on one run per week and I concur if it was a long (8hr+) run on the high fells. Burn out / breakdown / boredom are risks
    Poacher turned game-keeper