Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BG Training

BG Training

Hi All,
    Not sure if this should be posted in training or here but here it goes!

I'm asking if anyone has any comments on my training for a BG attempt next June (2012). Here is my current week,
    Monday: 10 miles 1700ft
    Tuesday: 12 miles 1350ft
    Wednesday: rest
    Thursday: 10 miles 1700ft
    Friday: 10 miles 1700ft
    Saturday: 12 miles 2250ft

I had planned to leave my Monday to Friday runs as they are and increase my Saturday runs by 2 miles 500ft per week until I reach 18 miles. At which point I will be at 60 miles with 10200ft climb per week.

Continue with this until March when I plan to start replacing the 18 mile run with a 4 hour run walk increasing this each week till I reach 10 hours.

I have the following runs planned, Bradfield Boundary, Edale Skyline, a 3 day recce long weekend and the kinder dozen.

How does this plan look? Too much or not enough? Or not the right stuff?

Cheers
    Ian

Super Moderator

Re: BG Training

Adders, initial thought is it looks like you're training for the Three Peaks or Edale Skyline. Too much 'running' and not enough climb in the mix

I used to live in your part of the world. Get yourself over to Milford and have a look at the road that runs West up onto the golf course from the mill chimney and Jackson's Lane. They're about as steep as I can think of around you. Up one and down t'other would make a good loop, then maybe reverse it. Ten times that would be more useful than all the trail running

If you can't get up to the Lakes then you need to go up into the Peak and look at hard circuits on Kinder. There are some good climbs on Win Hill too. Kinder Killer and Dozen are good
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Yep to add to DT don't get hung up on miles it's about time on your feet but climbing is what you need to do.

Don't forget to build some rest in to plan or you will burn out.

Other peak distance routes to do are the Derwent Devil, 15 trigs, 4 county tops of the Peak

Super Moderator

iirc a good chunk of the climbing in the D&W Tour of Bradwell is zig-zagging across the Vale of Edale. Edale - Ringing Roger - Rowland Cote YHA - across and up to Lose Hill - Hope - Win Hill and then back would make a decent outing :closed:

Thanks for the quick reply guys.
    Yes, I did read some where that 40 miles with 10000 ft is the ideal training goal.

My only concern with running shorter distances occurred when I did a training run over to Wirksworth which was about 20 miles. I ran out of steam and put it down to only running shorter distances.

DT the run you talk about is where I was planning to get my extra climb/mileage in each week. Up Jacksons Lane and down Sunny Hill. It's a 1 mile loop with 250ft climb. So a yo-yo loop would be shorter (missing out the flat bit on Chevin Road) but still keeping the climb in. Sounds like a good session.

So to recap, I need to increase my climb to distance ratio.

Thanks for the reply's I really appreciate it.

Super Moderator

It's going to be difficult finding steep enough climbs where you are. I was doing 550ft in about 0.75mile on Ilkley Moor and up to five reps and that was just mid-week 'filler'

Don't lose sight of the fact that you probably won't run for more than 10 to 15mins at any one given time on the BG. Endurance, durability, 'balls', desire, and a love of the hills are all of more value than being able to run 20miles nicely (imho)

High Peak Incline / Black Rocks area any good?

I'm not sure about that Jackson's Lane-Sunny Hill loop. Sunny Hill is road and there isn't much of that on the BG. I'd stick to just going up and down Jackson's Lane. Boring, but the descent would be much harder than the road of Sunny Hill. Do that ten times, jog along to the end of the Chevin, head down to the river, run back to Milford, then another 5 - 10 reps on Jackson's Lane. That should sort it. Although, of course, Derby Tup is fundamentally right: the BG is not a run, it's nowt but a walk.

Worm

Super Moderator

Worm, welcome to the forum and thanks for naming the road as 'Sunny Hill'. I knew it had a name but couldn't remember

It's seven years since I left Derbyshire. Is there anything of use for repping in Ambergate (Shining Cliff) Woods?

Re Shining Cliffs: not really. Dave Denton (runningwithdavid.com) manages to get nearly 1000ft into 6 miles in one of his races in Shining Cliffs, but that involves a couple of laps and no obvious hill for reps.

Worm

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Worm View Post
    Re Shining Cliffs: not really. Dave Denton (runningwithdavid.com) manages to get nearly 1000ft into 6 miles in one of his races in Shining Cliffs, but that involves a couple of laps and no obvious hill for reps.

Worm
    Did it a few years ago. You're right; too runnable. Basically the Derwent valley thereabouts is neither deep enough or steep enough :closed: