Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: BG Training

Re: BG Training

All sounds promising Hank. From what I have seen on here, you've made the investment and you're in a pretty good position to get round well.

I am going on 25th May and have a (very) few weeks left in my training plan. I've stuck to the plan; got great support; have stayed relatively injury free and have a healthy degree of trepidation about it, but looking forward to it all the same.

Going up again Thursday / Friday next week and then sometime on the first weekend in May. Need to recce Scafell Pike to Scafell via Foxes and do 2 back to back legs on schedule... and put the final few 10,000' weeks in.

Good luck on all counts and keep us posted:thumbup:
    Last edited by lantern rouge; 17-04-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    My last proper run today and now I'm in taper mode!

Parked in Threlkeld and went up Hall's Fell on to Blencathra and off the back to Mungrisdale Common. It's ages since I've been on leg 1 with any visibility and it was great to remember how nice it is up there. Refreshed my memory of the good line up the back of Blencathra and nailed the descent down Hall's Fell... started right, quick bit of scree, steep grass slope, contour down and left across the slope, under the scary crag and on to the ridge... steady pace and down in 24 minutes. A quick coffee and bit of pasta in the car and then went up Clough Head and on to Raise and back. Pushed the pace a bit and made 20 minutes on my schedule. Nice to know I can take it slower on the day.

At the suggestion of my leg 2 nav man I've started taking a slightly different route up Clough Head by climbing left across the slope after crossing the Old Coach Road and turning up the NE shoulder towards White Pike. It's obviously longer on the ground, but less steep and just feels better to me (I've always hated Clough Head!). 47 minutes it took me today and that felt ok, I don't think I could do the regular direct ascent in that time without blowing several gaskets.

I had a great run out in lovely conditions with distant tops visible and all the route laid out before me.
    Good effort Geoff - And what you've just described is what I've heard referred to as the "Eagles" descent off Blencathra. You're flying mate, it will be fine on the day

p.s. 47 minutes to the top of Clough Head is fast!!!
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

p.s. 47 minutes to the top of Clough Head is fast!!![/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly Martin!

Well I have a busy month of May with training in the Lakes every weekend pretty much, then a taper ready for 15th June. Less than 9 weeks to go for me now....

Quote Originally Posted by ashstroller View Post
    p.s. 47 minutes to the top of Clough Head is fast!!!
    My thoughts exactly Martin!

Well I have a busy month of May with training in the Lakes every weekend pretty much, then a taper ready for 15th June. Less than 9 weeks to go for me now....[/QUOTE]

47 minutes is very fast!

If you have less than 9 then I have less than 6... crikey:w00t:

It seems to be coming together though... Anything can happen on the day, but given constraints of family and work, I don't think I can have done much more. A few more big days and some consistent climbing / lactate work, then relax a bit. Good luck all.
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

All getting a bit close isn't it? 6 1/2 weeks to go for me. I've just had 3 weeks with insufficient training due to family holiday & a cold, although I did get a lot of Lakes tops done (walking with my daughter, so I didn't count that as training). Still, I got moving again at the weekend with 35 miles/13000 feet in the Lakes, & off to recce legs 1 & 2 again on Saturday so that'll get the bulk of this week's effort done. Recceing is now on course, with only the descent off Robinson I'm really worried about. I'll have to go back in the daylight & sort that out properly: it would be awful to come unstuck in the dark that close to the end. A 2nd recce of leg 1 should see me reasonably confident I can do that in the dark. Good to see a healthy number of Cheshire runners having a go this year (& Chris Baynham-Hughes' round last Saturday of course).
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Been trying to work through previous thread on the descent off Blencathra. What's people tips ? Halls Fell took me 30 mins, so I'm not overly worried, but feel I'm missing out on another gully descent ? Am I ?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    Been trying to work through previous thread on the descent off Blencathra. What's people tips ? Halls Fell took me 30 mins, so I'm not overly worried, but feel I'm missing out on another gully descent ? Am I ?
    There's quite a bit on other threads on this. From what I've read & from talking to people the fastest way appears to be the Parachute, but you need to know it. I don't. So unless I end up with a pacer who knows it I'll be going down Halls Fell, & that's the way I'll recce on Saturday. I'll try to suss out the variant on the right described by Hank a few posts up, but I'm not sure I'll find it.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

I'm thinking the same as you Splatcher. It's only gonna save 10 mins or so at best. If I get chance to reccie it then great. If not, not a disaster

The descent I use off Blencathra is (from memory!):

Looking down Hall's Fell from the summit drop down to your right on grass. If you look down and to your left you'll see a wide patch of scree, go down to the scree and follow its extreme left edge down. This is pretty steep, but the scree begins to steepen even more and drops out of sight; at this point leave left out of the scree and go straight down a nice tongue of grass that narrows to a little spur. Exit left at the spur and angle down to your left across the slope (not too steeply) and cross two or three thin ribbons of scree. There's the odd wee crag, but totally avoidable and no need for the use of hands. You'll come to a line of crags jagging down the slope and barring easy progress; follow the base of the crag on grass and round it at the bottom. The main ridge is now only 100m or so to your left. Don't lose any more height, just cut across the heather and Bob's your uncle. Edit: I've tried to mark this on a photo. The very start of the route isn't shown, but you can see the scree. 1 is the grassy section, 2 is angling down after the spur, 3 is rounding the line of crags and 4 cutting across to the ridge. The perspective of the photo is a bit odd. I'd say from the base of the crag to ridge is 1 minute. Also, you can't see where you would the join the ridge because it's obscured.

Attachment 6010

Also, I know 47 minutes sounds fast up Clough Head and I amazed myself, but I think it's down to the easier, less steep route. There's still a short, steep section, but once you hit the NE shoulder near White Pike it's a doddle... a nice trod and easy gradient that you can stroll up. For me it beats the long, stiff pull up the direct ascent. Give it a try!
    Last edited by Hank; 18-04-2012 at 11:28 AM.
    Geoff Clarke

That's great Hank - thanks. I'll try that out on Saturday. Last time I started down that scree but cut left onto the ridge as I didn't know what I was getting myself into if I kept on down. I'll probably take your advice on Clough Head as well on the day, although I'll be skirting round it on Saturday, as it's my last Wainwright & I'm saving it for the BG round.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club